Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Palantír

Lyra

I find Legolas leaning up against a wall, he smiles at me. I reach him and he wraps his arms around me.

"Are you really drunk?" I ask him

"No, only a little, we should go get some rest, you need it," He says, I nod.

We walk down the hall, I feel someone grab my arm and pulls me away from Legolas, it's a man.

"Aren't you a pretty little thing?" He asks running a hand down my face, I try to get out of his grip but can't. Legolas grabs the man by his shirt collar and pulls him away from me.

"Touch my wife again and you will regret it" Legolas snarls and shoves the man away and pulls me close to him.

We reach the room in which we are going to be staying in with the others.

I lay down on the floor, Legolas pulls me close to his body, he places his hand on my stomach.

"Goodnight my love," He says

"Goodnight Legolas," I say and drift off to sleep.

Legolas

I wake sudden and unexpectedly, I try to go back to sleep but can't. I carefully get up, as to not wake Lyra or the other's up. I walk outside, it'll be dawn in about an hour or so. All I can think about is how I'm going to be a father. I hear footsteps behind me, it Aragorn, he can't sleep either.

We both look toward Mordor.

"The stars are veiled. Something stirs in the East. A sleepless malice. The Eye of the enemy is moving." I say

"Let's not talk about the quest for a moment. How are you feeling about becoming a father?" Aragorn asks

"Nervous, I'm just glad that Lyra and our daughter are safe, even if it is only for now," I say

"What do you mean?"

I don't get a chance to respond, I suddenly feel a dark presence and there is a loud scream of agony, one that sounds just like my Lyra.

I turn to Aragorn "He is here!" I say and we both rush back inside, Is Lyra being harmed in some horrendous way? I know her scream will haunt me for the rest of my life.

Lyra

I wake to the small voices of Merry and Pippin, what's going on?

"What are you doing? Pippin! Pippin?" Merry says

I then hear footsteps, I roll over and watch. Pippin takes the Palantír from Gandalf, replacing the space in Gandalf's hands with a pitcher.

"Pippin! Are you mad?" Merry asks him

"I just want to look at it! Just one more time." Pippin replies

"Put it back!" Merry says

Pippin unwraps the stone. I sit up fast.

"Pippin. No! Pippin!" Merry warns him

Pippin becomes affixed to the now glowing stone. He grabs onto it, suddenly he is screaming and writhing in agony. I rush over to him and take it from him. I suddenly feel an agonizing pain throughout my entire body, I scream.

I see Sauron with a young girl, she looks very much like me, except she has blond hair. Sauron's hand is on her shoulder, she is covered in blood. Down by her feet are the dead bodies of Legolas, the others, and I. I try to look away but can't.

"Help! Gandalf Help! Someone help!" I bearly hear Merry say

I hear the door fly open and hit the wall, I feel hands on my shoulders and the Palantír falls out of my hands, the vision ends, I start to fall back but Legolas catches me. I hug him tightly and sob hard, he rubs my back, not asking any questions.

"Fool of a Took!" Gandalf exclaims

Gandalf tends to a terrified Pippin.

"Look at me." He says to the hobbit 

"Gandalf! Forgive me!" Pippin says and looks away.

"Look at me. What did you see?" Gandalf asks urgently

"A tree... there was a white tree in a courtyard of stone... it was dead. The city was burning." Pippin says

"Minas Tirith? Is that what you saw?" Gandalf asks

"I saw... I saw Him! I could hear His voice in my head!" Pippin says

"And what did you tell Him? Speak!" Gandalf exclaims

"He asked me my name. I didn't answer." Pippin says "He hurt me!"

"What did you tell Him about Frodo and the Ring?" Gandalf asks

"Nothing," Pippin says

Gandalf nods, knowing Pippin is not lying, he turns to me, I shudder, remembering what I saw.

"What did you see Lyra?" He asks softly

"I saw Sauron, he had his hand on a little girls shoulder, it was our daughter. I saw us all dead at their feet. That is what will happen I we fail and if he gets my daughter." I say, Legolas pulls me close and places his hand protectively on my baby bump.

"Does he know where you are?"

"No, he tried to find out but I only let him see me in Isengard. He believes I'm still there" I say

"Then you are safe for now," Gandalf says

Legolas kisses my head. "Get some more sleep, we'll talk to Théoden later," Gandalf says

Legolas lays down, I lay beside him.

"Our daughter will be safe, I promise, he won't get her," Legolas says

"I hope so," I say and yawn

"Sleep," Legolas says, I slowly drift off to sleep in his arms.