Chapter Seven: Lothlórien

Lyra

The Fellowship exits Moria. Boromir tries to restrain Gimli as the Dwarf vents out his rage and sorrow. Merry consoles Pippin, who lies crying. Legolas wears a look of shock and disbelief; the immortal elf's eyes show puzzlement as he holds me tightly as I sob. Sam sits on the ground, bows his head onto his hands, and begins to weep. Aragorn wipes his sword clean, sheathes it, and turns to the others.

"Legolas, get them up." Aragorn says

"Give them a moment, for pity's sake!" Boromir exclaims

"By nightfall these hills will be swarming with Orcs! We must reach the woods of Lothlórien. Come, Boromir, Legolas, Gimli, get them up." Aragorn says "On your feet Sam. Frodo? Frodo!"

"Come my love" Legolas say, I just nod and wipe my eyes, Legolas hugs me quickly and holds my hand.

Frodo stands alone upon the hillside. Weeping silently, he turns towards Aragorn, a single tear running down his chin. Chortling, icy blue water gurgles across the dale. Aragorn runs up onto a rock. Framed against a deep blue sky, he looks past the mountains to the green-gold woods beyond. The Fellowship jogs across a grassy field, halting under the leaves of a forest of tall trees.

"Stay close, young Hobbits! They say that a great sorceress lives in these woods, an Elf-witch, of terrible power. All who look upon her, fall under her spell..." Gimli says

Frodo, startled, looks around.

"...and are never seen again." Gimli says

"Mister Frodo?" Sam asks as Frodo stops a moment

"Well, here is one Dwarf she won't ensnare so easily. I have the eyes of a hawk and the ears of a fox!" Gimli says

An arrow, notched, appears before his face.

"Oh..." Gimli exclaims

Other bows at the ready appear around the Fellowship. Legolas has his own bow out and stands in front of me protectively. The Fellowship looks around, alarmed. A tall, golden-haired Elf appears.

"The dwarf breathes so loud, we could have shot him in the dark." Haldir says

"Grrr..." Gimli growls

The Fellowship stands on a platform in the rustling foliage. Haldir greets them.

"Mae govannen, Legolas Thranduilion." Haldir says (Welcome Legolas, son of Thranduil.)

"Govannas vîn gwennen le, Haldir o Lórien." Legolas replies (Our Fellowship stands in your debt, Haldir of Lórien.)

Haldir glances at Aragorn.

"A, Aragorn in Dúnedain istannen le ammen." Haldir says (Oh, Aragorn of the Dúnedain, you are known to us.)

"Haldir." Aragorn says

"So much for the legendary courtesy of the Elves! Speak words we can also understand!" Gimli says

"We have not had dealings with the Dwarves since the Dark Days." Haldir says

"And you know what this Dwarf says to that? Ishkhaqwi ai durugnul!" Gimli says making me laugh (I spit upon your grave!)