Chapters 3+4

Chapter 3 - close your mouth

Kimberley’s heart pounded, she was sure that it was visible under her dress she was that taken aback. She could always tell when Cheryl was joking or being sarcastic, that was the beauty of their friendship, they had spent so much time together they could almost read each others thoughts. Yet now, when perhaps she needed this talent most of all, it had failed her. she has to be joking   Kimberley thought to herself.

A silence descended on the table, for Kimberley it was awkward, yet she was sure, looking at Cheryl, that she was actually enjoying this. Cheryl reached up and took her sunglasses off.

“close your mouth babe” Cheryl joked, aware that she had shocked Kimberley far more than was intended.

“right well I think I might have the salmon” Kimberley coughed, picking up the menu and making the most obvious change of subject she had ever seen.

Kimberley had gone to the toilet by the time the waiter came over to see if any more drinks were required. Cheryl took the opportunity to order a different bottle, she didn’t get to taste much of the first. Kimberley sauntered back to the table, Cheryl could see she had applied more foundation and eyeliner. She poured the new wine in to Kimberley’s glass before topping hers up.

“how’s the wine” Cheryl asked, giving the other girl chance to taste it. “its going down surprisingly well” Kimberley replied, taking another large gulp.

“I bet it is…I’m not surprised, it’s the dearest on the menu” Cheryl informed her with a smile. “well thank you for giving it to me” Kimberley responded, holding her glass up to ‘cheers’ Cheryl. “anytime babe…anytime” Cheryl shot back with a wink.

Some how Kimberley had managed to get through the rest of the meal unscathed, although her ego was a little bit bruised. She still couldn’t make out whether Cheryl was joking or not.

Could she actually be flirting with me Kimberley thought for the briefest of seconds before Cheryl opened the car door and slid up next to her in the back seat. By this time the paparazzi had found them again, camera flashes followed as the car pulled away and headed off to Kimberley’s flat.

Cheryl relaxed on the sofa, from where she was she could see in to the kitchen where Kimberley had her back to her and was making a cocktail for them both. Cheryl had been spending much more time with Kimberley, and the other girls since her marriage to Ashley had ended. She appreciated Kimberley’s honesty and sincerity throughout the whole process and if anything good could have come out of the whole sorry ordeal, it was that their friendship had grown even stronger. She watched as Kimberley walked in to the living room and put down the cocktails. She sat on the floor in front of the couch and handed the drink over to Cheryl who looked at it quizzically before taking a sip.

“what’s in it” Cheryl coughed, feeling the alcohol hit the back of her throat. “Sambuca and Baileys” Kimberley admitted. “are you trying to get me drunk” Cheryl asked coyly.

“I think you are doing that all on your own Chez” Kim replied with a laugh.  “what’s it called” Cheryl asked, her pallet now becoming accustomed to the taste. “a slippery nipple” Kimberley laughed before getting up and sitting on the couch next to Cheryl.

The drinks were flowing enough for Kimberley to let her hair down a little, all thoughts of the dream banished to the corners of her mind. For Cheryl on the other hand, nothing could have been further from the truth.

“so go on then” Cheryl said, turning to face Kimberley on the couch. “tell us about this dream then”.

Kimberley spluttered in shock, the drink going down the wrong way in the process causing her to cough and gasp for breath. “that good huh?” Cheryl laughed, patting Kim on the back until she stopped coughing.