The First Fall

Hermione

Pacing back and forth along the corridors of the Hogwarts Express were taking a toll on Hermione.  She couldn't' put her finger on why however, and decided to retire to the prefects carriage in order to get acquainted with the group that she and the Head Boy would be supervising this year. 

Gripping the wooden handle and sliding the door of the prefects compartment open, Hermione was greeted by a group of happy, smiling teens.  They all stared at her in awe as she walked closer.  "Yes, yes I know I am Hermione Granger.  Please gawk now as I grow tired of it after so long.  Yes, now that that's over...I, as your supervisor, instruct you to treat me as you would any other fellow student.  It seems only fair does it not?  Good.  Now which one of you is my Head Boy?" she asked largely to the staring faces in front of her.  No one responded and Hermione was momentarily distracted by the urge to turn around and leave.  She fought it though, and stood her ground.  The buzzing within her grew stronger and as it grew stronger than it had earlier, a very familiar voice answered from behind her. 

"Looks like I am, Granger."  Hermione closed her eyes in resignation and revolved to come face to face with her least favorite person at Hogwarts: Draco Malfoy.  Or rather face to chest as he was indeed a great deal taller than her.  That shirt fits him nicely, she thought before looking up to meet his gaze.  NO NO NO!! This is Malfoy! Your enemy! Why would you think that???  Dread began to creep over Hermione as realization began to settle; they would be in close proximity for the entire year, sharing the private dorms.  If only they could manage not to kill one another....

Draco

Ugh why Granger? Am I really sure that she's my mate? Draco attempted to leave the compartment but instead found himself drawing involuntarily closer to Hermione. Yep.  She's the one.  That didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would.  The animosity between the two of them had died down slightly in the previous months, but Draco knew that it would take a lot of convincing on his part that he really was on good's side.  He definitely wasn't a good person, but the prejudice against mudbloods has lessened slightly when his hated father had finally stopped tormenting him, with the constant fear of the ministry's retaliation as a driving force.  The negative seemed to die away with him.  Draco was still an arrogant, selfish, and egotistical person, but he was reformed into a nicer version of his former self.  He had only a few months to convince Hermione of this fact and change her feelings of 7 years of mutual hatred.

.......

.......

Hermione had disgustedly fled his company not shortly after learning of his new prefect Head Boy status.  Draco had felt a pulling sensation as she left, and had wanted more than anything to follow after that bushy mess of brown hair.  Snap out of it.  This is the veela talking.  Get a grip.  Draco tried to push Hermione and the buzzing to the back of his mind as he changed into his Hogwarts robes and began to exit the train.  Draco began wandering aimlessly throughout the Hogwarts Express not knowing exactly where he was going, but just letting his feet lead him.  Bad idea.  He had quickened his pace and was almost running. Draco didn't see Hermione exit the compartment in front of him until his nose collided with the front of her forehead.  He fell backwards onto the ground from the force of the impact, while she remained upright, bracing herself on the doorframe.  Hermione swore at him and looked down while clutching her head.

"What the hell Malfoy?" she demanded.  "Was it really necessary to attempt to plow me over before the term has even started?  You and I will have plenty of time to go at each others' throats, but for now could you at least attempt to be civil?"