The Second Fall

Hermione

Draco stormed out the door of their common room, leaving Hermione behind in a wash of confusion.  Did he really just kiss me?  And insulted me.  That foul-mouthed git just..UGGH!  Lost, Hermione turned on her heel and stormed out of the dormitories after Malfoy.  She needed to find Ginny.  Maybe her friend could lend her some insight.

.....

.....

The Fat Lady portrait swung open to omit Hermione into the Gryffindor common room that had been her home for the past 6 years.  Not much had changed.  The Gryffindor banners were strung about as usual, and a fire was dying in the grate from the previous night.  Hermione stormed up the steps to the girls dormitories and found Ginny looking for her other sock under a bed. 

"I need to talk to you," Hermione announced, startling the younger girl and causing her to bump her head.

"Bloody hell Hermione you scared me!" she exclaimed.  "Where's the fire??"

"Nothing.  But I am having a crisis here."  The two girls sat down on the bed in the deserted room and Hermione relayed her tale of the past few hours with Malfoy.

"You slept with the git?" Ginny asked, wide-eyed.

"Technically yes.  But what's more important here is the fact that he's just toying with me.  I don't know what he's playing at, but I intend to find out.  Want to help?"

"Do I ever!" Ginny squealed, hugging her friend tight to her.

"That ferret has to solve this problem before he steps foot in the common room agai-" Hermione was cut short as she doubled over in pain clutching at her stomach.  Ginny stared down at her friend in shock.

"Hermione? Are you okay?  What's wrong?"  Ginny reached a state of panic when her friend's eyes didn't respond.  She was in too much pain to hear her.  Ginny levitated the older girl down the stair case as fast as she could when she was met by Harry and Ron. 

"What happened?" they both asked in unison.

"I don't know!" Ginny exclaimed.  "She just collapsed, clutching at her stomach.  Can you please carry her to the hospital wing?" she begged of the two.  Without hesitation they lifted Hermione from her levitating state, and carried her as quickly as they could to the hospital wing.

.........

.........

"MADAME POMFREY!" Ron shouted once the friends had reached the infirmary.  The mediwitch appeared from behind a set of curtains and took in Hermione's crumpled state before urging the boys to set her down gently on a bed. 

"What happened?" she inquired.

"We don't know.  One minute she was fine, and then the next minute she just collapsed, clutching at her stomach." Ginny explained. 

"Ah....I see..." Madame Pomfrey said with a knowing look before rushing into her office to retrieve a potion.  She tipped it into Hermione's mouth and almost immediately, the tension in her muscles appeared to relax despite her remaining still.  "Now you all must leave." the witch ordered.  "I need to speak to Miss Granger privately when she wakes up in a few minutes.  As soon as we are finished, I will ring for you upon her request.  I suggest you stay nearby, but I am ordering you to leave the infirmary this instant.  The three looked reluctant, but under the firm gaze of the mediwitch, they complied and left without much fuss.

Hermione started to open up her eyes just as Madame Pomfrey ushered her friends away.  "Where am I?  What happened?" she asked after taking in her surroundings.