Things get Better...

A/N:  I know there's been a lot of drama quite rapidly within this story.  I couldn't help it :)  Expect more drama definitely later on throughout the story.  But for now, here's a toned-down bit of fluff to keep the story moving.  Team Dramione!

Hermione

Hermione slowly regained consciousness.  The first thing that drifted into her mind was that she was weak.  It took a great deal more effort to raise her head up than it would have usually.  The second thing that Hermione noticed was that she was not in the burrow.  The sheets around her felt too soft, the atmosphere was too peaceful, and there was another body lying next to her. 

A rush of memories came back to the confused witch.  She remembered her declining health over the past few days, and her increasing depression about Draco.  After dinner last night, Hermione had felt the worst yet.  That was up until right before she blacked out from the immobilizing pain.

She remembered nothing past the point of her intense agony, and quickly pieced together that she was once again in Malfoy Manor.  The blonde boy lay with his arms wrapped around her, still asleep.  Hermione took in his form with her eyes.  His hair was disheveled, and he wore no shirt.  The sheets on his bed appeared to have been tossed and thrown everywhere, as if he had been trying to escape. 

Hermione knew that he must have been in immense pain as well, and cursed him for being so prideful!  They shouldn't have been separated for that long!  How could he be so stupid, selfish, and-and-.  Tears crept to the corners of her eyes and threatened to spill over.  The man she loved had been in pain.  And it had been her fault for not listening to him, getting attacked, and causing this entire mess in the first place.

Draco stirred softly beside Hermione, her emotions affecting him too.  Gazing at her, his arms tightened their grip when he noticed the wet sparkle in his mate's eyes.  "Love, what's wrong?  Are you hurt?  What should I do?  Anything you need I'll get."  Draco attempted to prop himself up on one elbow in order to see her better.  Struggling greatly, he collapsed back down again. 

"Draco!"  Hermione's tears began to grow in rate. 

Draco soothingly pulled her closer.  "Don't worry love.  I'll regain my strength again once I've been with you."  Hermione's sobs subsided as she put all of her strength into moving closer towards him.  His entire arm shook as he ran out of strength and tried to bring it around her once more. 

"I'm sorry," she started.  "This is all my fault.  If I had listened to you all that time ago, none of this would have ever happened!"

"Don't you ever say that!  None of this is your fault."  Hermione sighed, and Draco finished his thought.  "If anyone here is to blame, I think that it is me.  I felt so ashamed and heartbroken after having hurt you.  I thought that you'd be happier without me.  And I'd rather die than know you're suffering from anything that might cause you distress."  His breath hitched.  "A-and Hermione, knowing that I was the one responsible for your pain, was the worst thing in the world.  I don't know how I can ever make it up to you.  I missed you every day that you were gone, and I can see now that neither of us benefited from my 'helping'.  Tell me what you want from me, and I will move mountains to see that it is done."

"Oh Draco!  This isn't your fault either.  It was an accident!  You didn't mean to hurt me, although I would appreciate it if you didn't mean to hurt my friends either...I was just angry with you.  I thought that you didn't want me anymore, and you were just fighting your veela instincts.  These past 10 days without you have been, without a doubt, the hardest days of my life.  I want you with me.  I want you to heal.  I just want you."  The corner's of the wizard's mouth crooked upward slightly.