Chapter 5: I love you

For the rest of Tris' initiation Tobias helps her the best he can. Since Amar took over his instructor duties he neither feels guilty for helping only Tris or for being romantically involved with the girl. Soon after their little escape outside the wall Tobias introduced her officially to his friends as his girlfriend. They both know that their relationship is more than that, but for now it's better to keep that to themselves. Among the Dauntless Tris calls him Four, since he prefers that, while in private she calls him Tobias.

Stage two is almost concluded and Tris is lying on Tobias' bed staring at the ceiling while he, lying next to her, asks her questions for the test. They haven't been physical or anything, but they are comfortable enough to lie down on the same bed. Normally, this would be out of the question, but since this is happening behind closed doors and neither will go and tell their parents about this not so appropriate behavior they deemed it alright. On the other hand, they are both adults in the eyes of the kingdom, so, no harm there.

Tobias often felt overwhelmed by his strong feelings for Tris, but never once pushed her to do anything she didn't want. And he'll never do that. He respects her too much for that. However, he would be a liar if he said he didn't want to be with her, the way a man and a woman are. He shakes his head and focuses on his task.

"How did King George reform the schools?" Tobias asks. He looks over Tris' text book trying to find the next question, when his girlfriend suddenly starts floating. "Tris?" he asks a little unsure. "Are you doing this?"

"Of course I am," she says with a chuckle. "It took me three days to lift my butt an inch and now look at me," she says excited.

"Well done, babe," he praises her. "But you still haven't answered my question," he says serious. Between studying for her Dauntless exam and practicing her witchcraft Tris often spend hours with Tobias, bonding, kissing and even fantasizing how it would be like to be with him, to really become his woman.

She liked him from the first moment she saw him and it warmed her heart that he is such a gentleman to ask her father for permission to date her. No, not just date her. Court her. People around here think they are just girlfriend and boyfriend, but he made it clear from the beginning that he is not looking for an amorous adventure, but a wife and for him to pick her just made it surreal. She still can't believe it. She couldn't care less that he is the heir to the throne. He could be a simple peasant boy and she would still love him. And then her concentration breaks and she plops on the bed, still staring at him. She loves him. This is the first time she admitted that to herself. But does he love her back? He is always kind to her, but maybe he is confused about his own feelings. He himself told her that he never dated anyone before. How could he know if he loved her? How can she?

"Are you alright?" he asks concerned.

"Yes. Why do you ask?" she asks him and he reaches out his hand to cup her face. She leans into his touch like countless times before.

"You got pale, like something might have happened to you," he says, his eyes searching her face, her eyes for a sign why her mood shifted. He knew her well by now to know that something happened, but he also knew that if she didn't want to talk about it she just wouldn't tell him.

"I'm fine, just tired," she lies.

"Tris, I know that's not true," he insists. "Honey, you can tell me anything, I'm here for you. I," he stops. He takes a deep breath and closes his eyes. When he opens them he stares into hers and he is sure. "I love you," he tells her softly, a small smile grazing his handsome face. Tris' eyes widen and then she smiles back.

"I love you, too," she says almost in a whisper. Tears have gathered in her eyes when she heard those three little words coming out of his mouth and now that she confessed her own feelings they are running down her cheeks. Tobias leans in and kisses her gently, holding her close to him, happy that his feelings are reciprocated. He never thought that he would find someone to love and the more time he spends with this extraordinary girl, the deeper in love he falls.