Chapter 8: The final battle

Tobias looks at her with hatred and it hurts her to see that look in his eyes. He is still under the spell.

"Get away from me, you evil witch. What have you done to my Tris?" he asks as he stands up and pushes Tris to the side.

"Tobias, please, it's me, Tris. You are under a spell," she says, tears streaming down her face.

"You lie," he turns to glare at her. She shakes her head. What shall she do? She decides to do the only thing she can think off. She grabs his face in her palms and presses her lips against his. He wants to push her away, but the longer their lips are locked the more confident Tris gets that the spell is fading. She prays that he'll remember, that he'll see that he has been deceived by the wizard and his daughter. She almost gives up when his arms suddenly embrace her and he kisses her back, just the way she remembers. It feels like ages since he last kissed her and they both enjoy the closeness, but soon they are pulled apart, when the door flies open and two ogres stand there.

"Oh no," Tris says.

"Don't be afraid, Tris, I'll protect you," Tobias says standing in front of her, shielding her.

"You remember," she says relieved.

"Yes, my love. I knew something was off when she kissed me," he says and looks away ashamed.

"She put a spell on you," Tris explains but is interrupted by David who freed himself of the binding spell.

"How did you do that, witch? My magic is much more powerful than yours," he growls. "You two, kill them," he orders the ogres, but Tobias is quick and grabs his sword from the nearby chair. He fights the two beasts as Tris makes sure David doesn't harm Tobias with his magic.

As the prince is engaged in the fight with the ogres Tris and David cast spells and curses toward the other. Some of David's curses are strong and almost hit Tris, but she realizes Torch was right; the dragon blood made her more powerful and therefore protects her from David's magic. Angry and frustrated David uses some of the darkest spells ever known to mankind. He is out for blood now. This is more than just revenge on the kingdom and Natalie, this is a fight to prove that he is the greatest wizard of all time and no little girl will ever overpower him. He summons all the forces of evil and concentrates them in one powerful energy ball which he sends toward Tris. Tobias, after defeating the two ogres, is forced to watch as the evil wizard is about to kill the love of his life. He tries to run to stand between her and the energy ball, but he is too slow and the ball hits her full force. Tobias is thrown against the wall and he slumps down as the darkness envelopes the woman he loves.

"Tris," he screams desperately. He hears David laugh his evil laughter, but just as he stands again, his weapon directed toward the devil himself, a bright light fills the room and blinds them for a moment. When the light subsides they all see Tris standing there as if nothing, as if the evil curse didn't even touch her or even existed to begin with.

"You witch," Nita yells and charges toward her with a sword of her own and pushes it through Tris' body, but the latter doesn't even react, instead she looks at David and smiles.

"Your reign of terror is now done, from this day forth you shall be gone," she chants three times and David is enveloped by a blinding light which makes him disappear for good. She then looks toward Nita who stares at her stunned. "You tried to separate me from my love. You will pay for your sin, not an ounce of magic for your kin." Nita falls backwards and before their eyes she turns ugly, covered in scars and warts, oozing wounds and blackened teeth, not even close to the beauty she was before. She lets out a scream and flees the tower leaving Tris and Tobias behind. Tris pulls the sword out of her and watches as the wound quickly heals as if it wasn't even there.