3

Calum managed to drag Luke to the beach. They asked if anyone else wanted to go but everyone just called them crazy for risking getting shocked by lightning because they wanted to go to the beach in the rain and declined. Their parents let them go as long as they promised not to go in the water. So, Luke and Calum were sat on the wet sand facing the ocean with light droplets of rain falling on them.

Calum enjoyed it very much and sat with his eyes closed, leaning on his hands with his head thrown back while Luke looked at him with furrowed brows. "What was the point of this?" He asked and Calum shrugged.

"Why do you complain so much?" Calum shot back, jokingly and Luke dropped his head looking down at the damp sand beneath him.

"Sorry."

"Don't say sorry, I wasn't trying to be mean."

"Sorry."

"Really, Luke?" Calum looked at him now with a small smile.

Luke turned his head to look anywhere besides at his puzzling friend beside him. He noticed two other houses on the beach, one of which he assumed was vacant since its pool was empty. The other, he wasn't sure of.

In the distance, a bright red blotch could be seen through the mugginess of the rainy atmosphere and it seemed to be getting bigger until Luke and Calum could see a boy around their age happily jogging towards them. They both stood up and squinted their eyes to see clearly.

Standing only a few feet away from them now was the boy. "Hi, I'm Michael!" The dyed redhead, who they now knew was named Michael, beamed, "I live in that house over there." He pointed to the house Luke presumed not to be vacant. I guess that answers that question, he thought.

"I'm Calum, this is Luke. We're only here for the summer, but we're staying in that house right there. It must be awesome living here all the time. I'd love to have a beach in my backyard," Calum laughed. Luke would always envy how easy it was for Calum to start a conversation with anyone he met, meanwhile Luke was mesmerized by the brightness of this Michael person's red hair.

"Well you're the only one. Usually when people stay here, they leave in like a week because me and my cousin, Ashton, are always blasting music really loud. We're kind of a two person band, if you think about it, since he plays the drums and I play guitar," Michael spoke on and Luke could see the excitement in his best friend's face at the mention of the word "band."

"No way! You know Luke, here, plays the guitar. I play too, but I'm not as good as him. The bass is my specialty," Calum remarked confidently, because it was true. Luke may be slightly better than him at guitar but when it came to the bass, Calum dominated.

The drizzle was clearing up now and Calum and Luke could now clearly see Michael's bright green eyes light up with excitement as he and Calum spoke.

"You guys should come over! My parents aren't home, not that they would mind anyway, but Ashton's there. I think you'd like him," Michael offered.

And just like that, Calum was hooked and Luke could feel himself being thrown to the back burner as Calum, once again, scampered away beside Michael, leaving Luke to trail behind them.

Michael's house was huge, even bigger than the one the Hemmings and Hoods were staying in. The outside was built from the floor up in light grey bricks and a dark, almost black rooftop. The door connecting the inside of the massive home to the beach was, seemingly, a mile high and wide, made out of crystal clear glass. 

"You guys want anything to drink? My parents aren't home so if you want some beers or something..." Michael trailed off as the bunch stepped onto the shiny marble floor.