11

Luke awoke to the rhythmic sound of Calum's soft breathing next to him as he slept. All the memories from the night before came flooding back into Luke's foggy mind, causing a shy smile to appear on his face.

Calum was laying on his stomach, the blanket only covering his lower half at his waist while his naked back muscles were accentuated by the sun shining through the window. Luke leaned down and placed a soft, warm kiss in the middle of the tan boy's bare back before getting up from the bed and slipping on a thin sweater.

Luke trudged down the stairs and into the kitchen, pouring himself a tall glass of orange juice once he reached the fridge. To his advantage, no one was awake yet so he took a seat on a bar stool and sipped at his orange juice, letting his thoughts fly.

Arms appear on either side of him resting on the counter, trapping him, and he spins around in the chair to be met with Calum sandwiching Luke between the counter and his body. Calum walked closer to stand between Luke's legs.

"Hi," Calum said with a wide smile.

"Hi."

Calum's smile shrunk down to a smirk and he inched closer to Luke's face, "you look like you've been making out with someone."

"I was, they just left," Luke sassed.

"Mhm," Calum mumbled as he started to kiss Luke's neck delicately. Luke let his head fall back right before footsteps were heard from around the corner.

Calum sprung away from Luke as the blonde boy turned back around, taking sips from his orange juice to try and fade the obvious blush on his face and neck.

"Good morning, boys!" Luke's mother's voice rang through the kitchen.

"Morning, Mrs. Hemmings," Calum mumbled.

"Did you two sleep well?" she asked, taking some fruit out of the fridge.

"Yeah, we slept great," Calum smiled at Luke who rolled his eyes.

Liz walked to the counter beside Luke and did a kind of double take when she looked at him. "What is that on your neck, honey?"

Luke furrowed his eyebrows and out of the corner of his eye, he can see Calum biting his finger, trying not to laugh. "What are you talking about?" Luke questioned his mother.

"These... marks," the curious woman pulled at Luke's shirt collar to try and get a better view. Luke's eyes widened when he realized what she was referring to and pulled his collar away.

"They're bruises," he said quickly to his mother, "I fell at the pier yesterday."

"And you hit your neck?"

"Yeah, I fell on it."

Liz looked between Luke and Calum. "You boys are weird," she said and started up the stairs with her bowl of fruit.

Luke avoided Calum's stare as Calum chuckled under his breath, "'fell on your neck', Luke? Really?"

"What else was I supposed to say?"

"'Calum gave me a hickies?'" Calum said and walked out of the kitchen with a smug smirk evident on his lips.

I hate him, Luke thought with a smile.

•••

That afternoon, Luke's father brought Luke with him to fix something on the car, saying they "could use some bonding time." Luke and Mr. Hemmings were sat across from each other at a table in a diner next to the auto repair shop in which the car was getting fixed. Andrew was stirring sugar into a cup of coffee while Luke had a glass of ice tea which he wasn't really interested in at the moment.

"So," Andrew said, setting his spoon down on a paper towel, "how have you been, Luke? You've hardly said three words to me in almost a month."

"Sorry. Summer's just been fun so far."

Mr. Hemmings took a sip of his coffee and set the cup down. "Right... with Calum, yeah? You two really are the best of friends, aren't you?"

"Yeah, dad," Luke tried to hide his smile, "best friends."

"Don't you think you, I don't know. Maybe you should spend some time apart from Calum..."

Luke looked up from his full glass of ice tea. "What do you mean?"

"I just think that you two have been getting a little too comfortable lately. I mean, maybe if you got a girlfriend you wouldn't need to be with Calum as much."

"Calum's my best friend. You've never said anything about this before," Luke scorned. 

Andrew exhaled and shook his head disapprovingly. "It's just, the way that boy... touches you sometimes-"

"That's enough, dad." Luke angrily stood from the table and left the diner.

Andrew followed closely behind Luke to the auto repair shop just as the man was putting the finishing touches on the car. The short ride home seemed like hours due to the awkward silence between Luke and his father. Luke scoffed at the reason he went out with his father in the first place. So much for 'bonding time.'

-•-•-
i have ideas for the rest of this story and i'm excited :)))

-cee