20

last chapter :'(

-•-•-

Graduation finally arrived and Luke was more relieved than excited whereas Calum was glad it was finally over. He missed Luke, but not the touching and kissing. He missed being his friend and just having him around all the time in general.

Luke stared at himself in the mirror of the school bathroom. His graduation gown rested comfortably on his body and he placed the cap on his head. He took a deep breath and walked outside to where the ceremony would soon begin.

Luke couldn't wait to get it over with. He wanted so badly to just leave for University and get away from his current life. He got into a good school, great actually, better than he expected and several hours away from his home, which he wanted. Calum did what everyone expected and got into a University on a football scholarship. When Luke found out about Calum's accomplishment, he was beyond proud and wished he could've shared the moment with him.

Luke took his place in line where he would soon be walking across stage to collect his diploma. Calum stood behind him. They'd both completely forgotten how close in the alphabet their last names were and it was awkward being so close to each other in line but acting like complete strangers.

Luke turned to look at Calum and gave him a soft smile to greet him which Calum graciously returned.

The principal of the school began calling the names and the line moved up with every name called.

"Luke Hemmings," called the tall man in a suit from the stage.

Luke climbed up the three steps, careful not to trip and fall on his face, and walked up to the principal. The principal shook his hand and handed him his diploma. Luke looked out into the crowd and in the distance, he could see his mother holding her hands together and smiling proudly along with his father and two siblings. He looked towards the other side of the crowd and saw Calum's parents and sister with the same look on their faces.

Luke smiled to himself and walked off the stage.

"Calum Hood," the man called next.

Calum took a step on the stage and directly went for his diploma. He looked up and the first eyes he caught were Luke's before he quickly looked down again and walked off the stage.

After the ceremony, families were spread out around the campus, sharing their congratulations and reminiscing their high school experiences while Luke walked off to the school garden. He had been going there a lot ever since he stopped talking to Calum. It was peaceful and isolated from everyone.

Luke sat on the same marble bench that he always did and leaned back against the backrest, looking at the colorful array of flowers and plants that he hadn't learned the names of. He fiddled with the silk material of his graduation gown that now laid folded on his lap along with the cap. He emptied his mind and enjoyed that the point in his life that he felt would finally set him free had arrived.

A soft click was heard in the distance and he looked up to see Calum shyly walking towards where Luke sat on the bench with his graduation gown in his hands.

Calum took a seat next to the boy and Luke looked at him.

"How did you know I'd be here?" Luke asked softly.

"Did you really think I never noticed you disappearing everyday?" Calum laughed.

"You probably did but usually people don't assume the garden."

"That's how I knew this is where you'd be," Calum pointed out.

They sat in silence for a few seconds until Calum spoke again, "I heard you got into a good college..." he trailed off.

"Yeah, you too. Congratulations, you deserve it," Luke said with a smile.

"Thanks, you too. I know you're gonna do amazing."

Luke continued playing with the tassel of the graduation cap as Calum continued. "I never told you I'm sorry."

Luke furrowed his eyebrows and looked at Calum, "sorry for what?"

"You could have been so much more if you never met me, and I'm so sorry for that but you won't have me to hold you back anymore. You're gonna be something great, Luke. I know it."

Luke turned to face Calum more and shook his head. "What? No, Cal, what are you talking about? You were never holding me back from anything. Why are you saying all this?"

"Because I'm in love with you and I don't know how to handle it."

Luke stayed silent and gaped at Calum while he allowed Calum to continue. "I want nothing less for you than to completely forget about me. I'm sorry for all the stupid shit I've made you do and for all the times I unknowingly put anyone or anything before you. I'm sorry for every time I ever made you feel like you weren't the only thing on my mind, because you always were, Luke. I love you so much, it hurts, and I care about you more than I care about me, so I want you to leave this place like you've always wanted and be the person you've always wanted to be."

And just like that, all the feelings Luke tried to burn came crashing back at full speed. "So you didn't mean it when you said you would leave with me? What about 'I'm yours?'"

"I did mean it, at the time, until I realized the best thing you could do for yourself is leave me," Calum said looking down.

"You're wrong, Calum. There's nothing that could make me more miserable than losing you. I've tried to be without you before and I almost lost my mind. I can't do it forever." Calum pulled Luke into a snug hug until he could feel the blondes heart beating against his chest. Luke locked his arms around Calum's waist and dug his head into the tan boy's neck, taking in his sweet scent and warmth.

Luke wanted to hold on forever because he knew that, deep down, Calum was right, to some extent. Calum wasn't holding Luke back, though. Luke could have easily raised his grades and taken care of himself on his own but he didn't because he distracted himself with Calum and his antics.

Calum was here again, driving Luke crazy with his mere touch as Luke mumbled into his neck, "I love you, too."

Calum pulled away slowly and took Luke's face gently in his hands and set a lingering, almost painful kiss on his lips. Calum detached their mouths and stood from the bench to leave but was stopped quickly when Luke stood and pulled Calum back by his arm into another kiss.

Calum's lips morphed into Luke's, exploding at the heat of the contact. He dropped his cap and gown that were in his hands and held Luke tightly by the waist, backing him up until his back was pressed against one of the glass walls of the greenhouse. Calum tugged Luke impossibly close to him as he devoured him all over again, everything from their skin to their souls feeling flush. Luke's fingers shook as they twisted and entwined themselves in Calum's hair as his skin erupted in goosebumps. He could swear he was floating through space and time for a second or two as Calum made out with him for dear life.

Calum reluctantly pulled away and leaned his forehead against Luke's, both out of breath. "Your heart's beating really fast," Calum breathed out.

"I know, d-don't worry about it."

Calum placed one last kiss on Luke's lips before dropping his hands from the blonde's waist and picking up his cap and gown from the floor. He left the garden and Luke behind with his heart in his hands and his head somewhere in Jupiter.

Luke stood shocked for a few seconds until finally leaving the garden to the parking lot and speeding off in his car. A phone call to his older brother, Ben, was enough to keep his family off of his back for a few hours as he sat on the floor of his bedroom with his arm resting on his packed suitcase for the university. With his thumb, he lovingly rubbed the tattoo on his forearm.

I'll be fine.

-•-•-
it's done!!

i like the way this story turned out (even though some of you might not... sorry about that)

i'm planning on starting new stories (obviously cake because cake) so i'm pretty excited for those :)

anyway hope you liked this!

-cee