hope

My body falls down from the clouds and back onto the bed as I recover from my dream and begin to wake. The comforting darkness is destroyed as I slowly lift my eyelids. Like a prisoner who has not seen the light for years I squint at the sudden brightness. I rub my eyes as I try to reduce the stinging. Another day, and I daresay it will be the same as yesterday. I lift up the blankets with a yawn to be hit with a sudden drift of cold air that makes my delicate body shiver. I reach out to pull my nightgown closer to my body but to my disbelief I touch nothing but bare skin! I look down at my body in search of an answer, expecting to see that my nightgown is not on properly but I look down to see that I am wearing nothing! I start to panic and search frantically around me, looking for something that could cover my nakedness. Thankfully I find my dress from yesterday lying on the floor. I grab it hurriedly and step into it, covering my body as quick as a chick is swept up by a bird of prey.

Suddenly I hear a murmur from the bed. I look around hesitantly to find Elizabeth underneath the covers, her fire red hair covering the pillow underneath her head. All memories of what happened last night fill my head as I watch her sleeping. Oh God, what have I done? This is wrong, this is so wrong. How could I have let this happen? I carry on dressing as she sleeps in her bed. I pull up my stockings hurriedly, followed by my slippers but I accidentally put them on the wrong feet and so put them on again the right way.

I cannot believe it. I have done something so sinful, God forgive me.

"Good morning." My stomach flips as I hear her voice and my head shoots around like the tail of a whippet. Elizabeth stares at me from the bed, her hair in a tangle and her skin shining in the morning light. I turn my head away and continue fastening my slippers.

"Good morning." I reply in a monotone voice, trying desperately not to show any emotion. I do not want her to know what I am feeling.

"I slept well last night. I forgot about everything, I was happy." I swallow the glistening emotion I start feeling and keep my face turned away from her.

"That is good news." There is silence in the small room as I tie the last clasp and brush through my dress. I stay where I am sitting as I soak in the silence. I know she is staring at me, wondering what I am thinking. Please, Elizabeth stop. Suddenly I hear the ruffle of the blankets as they are pulled up and Elizabeth steps out of them. I notice her white dress on the floor and pick it up, brushing out the creases.

"Would you like the same dress or a new one today, your grace?" She doesn't reply and so I make the decision myself. I fold up the white dress I am holding and open up the case in the corner of the room. I look at each dress until I notice a beautiful red one wedged into the side. I pull it out and admire it for a second before giving it to Elizabeth, all the while keeping my eyes averted from her gaze. Finally she takes it from my hand after a pause and I move towards the window as she puts it on. The silence is almost deafening as I peer outside, watching the birds fly through the sky and the morning wakers walk throughout the towers courtyard, their cloaks dampening in what is left of the overnight rain.

"Kate?" I turn around and look at her. She stares at me, confusion painted on her face but she also looks hurt and I feel like running towards her, hugging and kissing her, telling her that I love her that I don't mean it. But I can't. It is wrong. She starts to move towards me but I put out my hand, stopping her from moving any further.

"Don't, your Grace. You know that this is wrong." As if she is made of glass Elizabeth's face drops with misery and smashes. She looks betrayed, and I am her betrayer. She must know that this is wrong. I am only doing what is right. I know that this is what's good for both of us but I don't want to do this, I can't deny my feelings. I start to change my mind and walk towards her but before I have even walked two steps I hear a key turn in the lock of our door and then it swings open revealing guards. No it is too early, they never usually come this time.