18. Newfound Strength

Kimiko POV
(In the girls volleyball gym)

I nervously stand in front of three starting players of the Shiratorizawa girl's volleyball team. The moment I entered the gym, I already felt the tension and pressure coming out from them.

I mean.. I understand why they would be like this towards me. I never came to volleyball practice and now to suddenly waltz in out of nowhere. I suddenly regret my cocky decision of trying out for the team like a normal player. I'll be even lucky to get out alive from all of this.

"So you're Kimiko hmmm..." the red long hair girl says as she walks around me to analyze me.

I stiffen. "Y-Yes!"

"I see. I see," she nods her head in thought then turns to the medium length brown hair girl. "So Kazue what should we do?"

"...." Kazue silently stares at me.

"Hmmm how about you Nao?" Seki asks.

Nao glances at me and chuckles. "I'll let you decide Seki go for it."

"I will then," Seki turns to me. "Kimiko you made our lives harder when we gave you position as setter because you never came to practice. I'm the Libero for this team but I never neglected my duties."

"I'm sorry..." I apologize and Seki lifts my chin.

"Sorry huh? You should be sorry for not coming because I didn't get to see —— YOUR CUTE FACE!" She gleefully says as pinches my cheeks.

Huh?

...

What just happened?

"Seki stop fooling around, she looked so nervous with you trying to interrogate her," Kazue sighs as she pulls back Seki. "Sorry Kimiko. I should've stopped her."

"I found it funny," Nao comments and Kazue glares at her.

"A-aren't I in trouble?" I ask and Seki laughs.

"Hahahaha no I'm just messing with you. Shiro told us that you had your own problems and couldn't come, but you're here now aren't you? That's what matters the most," Seki grins.

I look to Shiro who stubbornly turns her head away. "Just get your tryouts over with and set the volleyball to me then I'll forgive you."

"Tsundere much," Nao comments.

"I don't want to hear that from you of all people," Shiro frowns.

"Hahahaha you two get along well, can I join?" Seki laughs as she messes with their hair and they glare at her.

The girls' volleyball team is completely different from how I thought they would be.... they're kind of weird but not in a bad way.

"Kimiko," Kazue calls me out. "You said you wanted to do a real tryout right?"

"I do," I answer.

Kazue grabs a volleyball from the ground and tosses it to me. "Your tryout is simple. Toss the volleyball to us for practice today. No breaks."

"Eh?" I blurt out.

That's not hard at all...

"What I want to see is your skills and endurance of course but what I want to also see is how well you cooperate with others," Kazue explains. "Volleyball is a team sport and as setter, you're vital for how our team plays in game. Can we count on you?"