24. Interview

Kimiko POV
(Shiratorizawa v.s. Date Tech)

Current score:

Shiratorizawa - 1

Date Tech - 0

2nd Game~ 24-20

Every second that I stand on this court, I could feel the pressure that the setter has to stay clear-minded and focused so no mistakes would occur when we are this close to winning. I take in a deep breath then exhale out. My eyes follow the volleyball that was at the hands of their setter.

Date Tech's setter tosses the volleyball to one of their players. The player spikes the volleyball to our side and Seki receives it.

"Shit. Sorry Kimiko," Seki clicks her tongue realizing the terrible receive she made.

"No problem!" I shout as the volleyball comes my way.

I immediately position myself to the volleyball then take a quick glance at my teammates as I run through a bunch of possible scenarios that can happen in my head.

Who would be the best person to toss to? How can we increase our chances of winning?

I notice Shiro wide open. She hasn't been playing like how she usually does. I'm not sure why that's the case but if she's open and knowing her, she'll take initiative if she's given the chance. Shiro catches my glance and lightly nods her head.

I toss the volleyball over to her and the moment I do, I feel someone pass me. I look over and my eyes widen when I realize that it was Amu.

Wait what is she--!

Our opponents all come together ready to block the volleyball from Shiro, but before the volleyball reaches Shiro, Amu spikes it in between the toss.

My mouth gapes open wide from what just happened. What kind of person did Ushijima recruit into our team?!?!

Everyone stares at the scene in complete shock, including our own team.

The referee who was at a daze quickly snaps out of shock and blows his whistle. "Game goes to Shiratorizawa!" He announces.

"We won..." I mumble surprised.

I hear the crowd cheering our school's name and Amu's name. Amu is definitely good, all she lacks is the experience in volleyball.

I notice Shiro clenching her fists and biting the bottom of her lip.

"Your head hasn't been in the game. Is something wrong?" I ask as I'm about to pat her on the shoulder but she pushes my hand away.

"Nothing is wrong," Shiro says with a cold gaze and walks away.

"Was it because Amu got the toss that was supposed to be yours?" I question and Shiro scoffs.

"If only it was as simple as that," she mumbles, I notice the disheartened look on her face.

"Girls line up!" Kazue calls out to the two of us.

We line up and bow our heads down. "Thank you for the match," we shout.

The crowd cheers for us again. I quickly look around the crowd to see if my father was here but I don't see him anywhere.

I thought he would come to my first official game but he didn't. I'm not even surprised.

(In the locker room)

After our match, we head over to the locker room to change our clothes and take our stuff out from the lockers.

"Girls, great game today. We won against Date Tech. A difficult team to be facing off at the beginning of the inter-preliminaries, but we did fairly well. I'm proud of you girls," Kazue says with a smile.