Put Me Back Together

Mark and I have been on foot for a few countless blocks. We’ve been searching high and low for that kid. I think it’s been at least an hour or so. We tried everything that we could think of. We’ve tried record stores, comic stores, cafes, diners, whatever places that’s trending today. I felt like we were spies because Mark and I were wearing baseball caps and keeping our heads low. Getting noticed would be a distraction in a crucial mission like this. It felt like minutes, but about three hours has past. We haven’t found him and so has Cubbie. The stupid thing is that we’ve left AJ all alone. I won’t be surprise if we come back and find him on the floor. My patience is thinning and my hope is running out. I may be losing faith. Mark stopped on his tracks, “If you were Glen, where would you go?”

            “I don’t know.” I croaked. I started to feel the burning sensation in my lungs because we’ve been running all day.

            “Come on!”

            “I don’t know, okay?”

            “Think, kiddo! Where would you go?”

            I froze, Where would I go? Where would the seventeen year old me run off to? Where would seventeen year olds go these days? I feel so old.

            “So?” Mark snapped me back to reality,

            “Um…” Steam was coming out of my ears because I was thinking too hard, but then I got it. I hope I was right, though. It sounds absurd, but aren’t kids all absurd and insane? “I think I know where he is…”

            “Go on.” Mark motioned with his hands,

            I stared at him with wide eyes for a while. Then I grabbed his wrist and started dragging him back towards AJ’s place. “Please tell me that you’re holding the keys.”

            “What key?”

            My pace reflexively got quicker, “To the car!”

            Mark was silent for a while, but I felt him getting quicker. “Yea, I got them!” So we ran and we ran as fast as we could. I felt like I could collapse at any moment, but I squashed that feeling away.

            “Toss me the keys!” I said as I got to the driver’s door,

            Mark went to the other side and tossed it, “Where are we going again?”

            I unlocked it and the both of us quickly went inside, “I just hope I got it right.” Then I drove towards the highway,

            “Ally, can you just explain your theory?” He later asked, “Where do you think he his?”           

            I glanced at him, “He may be trying to find a way home.”

            “Are you sure?” I think he noticed the uncertainty in my tone,

            “Seventy percent.”

            “So we’re headed to…”

            “Yea, we’re headed to the airport. Let’s just hope we’re not too late.”

            “Logically speaking…” He hesitated, “Where does he get the money from? I mean, he’s just a kid.”           

            “He’s got a job, remember?”

            “But-”

            “You don’t know him and neither do I.” That shut him up for a while. I felt lucky because traffic was fine. I was driving on the speed limit the whole time. Would it make me an asshole if I stole someone’s parking space? I mean, I came from the opposite direction of this dude trying to park. Let’s just hope that the dude’s nice.

The Foster Kid (Part 7) (A Foster The People Fan Fiction)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें