New Year Resolution

The Echo new years thing will be held in a matter of hours, if I’m not mistaken. I asked the guys where their kids would be that day and they told me not to worry about it. There’s a slight pint of me that’s still worried, so I kept on bugging them with that question. Cubbie finally told me that it’s a friend that will be babysitting. It’s a special night for them. By that, they meant adults’ day off. The guys were behind the stage while Ryan and I were in this special spot. If it were an opera, we would be in the balcony in the sides. We were sitting with our legs kicked up on the railing. I could hear the noises of people as they started to file in on the lower ground. “So, hours till a new year.”

            I nodded, “A new year, a new start.”

            “Do you have a new years resolution?”

            I shrugged, “I don’t know. You?”

            “Save more people, I guess.”

            “That’s it?”

            “Not really, but it’s my main thing.”

            “You’ve saved a lot of people already.”

            He sighed, “But I don’t feel like it.”

            “Hey.” I made him face me, “It’s alright.”

            He smiled and surprisingly pecked me on the lips, “What about you? You need to have something.”

            “I can’t think of anything.”

            “Come on.”

            “Um…” My brain started to chug to its maximum limit, “Live life?”

            “How?”

            “Just enjoy every single moment because that time might not happen again.”

            “That’s actually a great one.”

            “Thanks. I just thought of that five seconds ago.”

            “Hey, remember when Nate fell?”

            “It was just a few days ago. Why?”

            “I like how you could calm him down. It’s just really hard to keep the kids cool.”           

            My heart melted, “All you need to do is to put yourself in that position at their age.”

            “But it’s really hard to convince them.”

            “Then you should start bringing a jar of lollypops everywhere.”

            He nodded knowingly, “Maybe I should learn all this from you.”

            I snorted, “Yea, you should.”

            “Have I ever told you…” He blurted after a moment of silence, “Have I ever told you that things go a lot easier ever since I asked you out.”

            “What do you mean?”

            “If I haven’t asked you out until today, I’d be really stressed out in handling the hospital.”           

            “How is that supposed to do with me?”

            “I’d always think what would you do or say to these people.”