Chapter 14

Time passed quickly, and soon Bone had moved on from Snowfeather and had become mates with Bloodfur. Ice didn't seem happy about it, and for some time, Moonstar wondered if she was like her mother. She realized that Ice was loyal to MoonClan though.

Moonstar was also aware of the drama in her clan. Her clanmates seemed to bicker constantly, though she believed it was preparing them for the battle that laid ahead.

Moonstar padded by Bone and Bloodfur, seeing Leopardtail in the distance. The she-cat had announced that she was expecting Tooth's kits only a short time ago.

"Good morning, sweetheart," Moonstar said as she padded into the nursery

Leopardtail looked up at her. "Oh, good morning, Mother."

"May I ask why you are in the nursery?" Moonstar asked.

"Um, didn't you hear the news? I'm expecting kits! I need all the rest I can get so I may have a successful delivery."

Moosntar sat down next to her daughter. "Oh, darling, you know I love you. You're the only faithful daughter I have. But let me tell you a story," she paused. "Well, it's not exactly a story, but you'll find these next few words interesting. How do I put this?" she asked, tilting her head. "GET OUT THERE AND DO YOUR WARRIOR DUTIES! YOUR KITS WON'T BE HERE FOR MOONS!" she spat.

Leopardtail rolled her eyes. "I thought you wouldn't care! I'm your daughter!"

"I do care about this clan, and I'm not sure if you care at all! Go out there on patrol, kill a cat!" she hissed.

With all the yowling, Fang raced into the den. Moonstar hadn't really spoken to her mate in moons with all the MoonClan business.

"Moonstar, what are you doing?"

"Our daughter is convinced she doesn't have to do warrior duties because she is expecting kits. You're not a princess, Leopardtail," she spat.

"Don't be so hard on her, Moonstar. You were relaxed when you had kits," Fang pointed out.

Moonstar growled at her mate. "No, you mouse-brain! We went searching for members when I was taking care of them."

"Taking care, not expecting," Fang told her. "I brought you prey and water. Let your daughter do the same."

Leopardtail smiled at this, glad her father was on her side.

Moonstar growled at Fang. She had been annoyed with the tom for awhile. She really didn't even have feelings for him anymore. She wasn't sure if she ever did. 

"Fang, you may be my mate, but I swear to StarClan, I will kill you if I have to," she hissed, knocking the tom over. She held him down, her claws aimed at his throat.

"Stop! You can't kill your mate!" Leopardtail screeched.

"She's right," he growled. There was a bit of evil in his eyes. "You wouldn't kill me."

"Watch me," Moonstar smiled maliciously. She store away some skin off his throat, causing blood to flow.

"Actually," Fang gulped. "Leopardtail should be patrolling. Shouldn't you, Leopardtail?"

"I'll be going right now," she said quickly, racing out of the den.

Moonstar got off of Fang, letting him go. "I, in fact, would kill you, Fang. Leave!" she hissed. He nodded, quickly exiting.

She knew he was afraid of her, though that's what she wanted. She wanted her clanmates, even family members, to cower in fear over her.

Ice stood in terror, her three kits playing quietly in the back of the den.

"Ice," Moonstar smiled. "How are you?"

"I'm well, Moonstar. How are you?" Ice asked, her blue eyes focused on Moonstar's.

"I've been better," Moonstar replied, swaying her silver-blue tail. "Say, would you like to help me out?

Ice gulped, then froze.

Moonstar laughed. "Don't you worry, Ice. You have kist to take care of. I couldn't ask that from you. Your kits will be fine warriors. In fact, let's make them apprentices right now."

"But they're only three moons," Ice argued.

"Exactly," Moonstar growled. "Ice, Rain, Night," she said. The three kits turned their attention towards her. "Would you like to be apprentices?"

"Yes!" Fire and Night yelled in unison.

"I want to be a medicine cat apprentice," Rain complained.

Moonstar quickly knocked the tom over, watching as Ice's eyes widened. She was surprised when the she-cat did not speak out.

"You very well will become a warrior because if you choose not to, I will hurt you. Then, you can learn how to heal yourself, and maybe, you'll learn a few herbs on the way, but the process will just start over again. I assure you, Rain, you will be an apprentice."

The little tom gulped. "Yes, Moonstar." 

Moonstar let go of the tom, watching as he quickly scurried to his mother. Ice licked her son affectionately, her eyes wide with fear.

"Well, we don't have all day!" Moonstar growled. "They will be made apprentices now! Follow!" she hissed, leading them outside the nursery.

Moonstar leapt onto the rock, the three kits following behind her. "ATTENTION MOONCLAN!" she yowled.

Moonstar looked into the audience of cats, spotting Leopardtail and Tooth next to each other. She caught Fang's eyes, only to watch him turn away. He was afraid of what she had become. He thought she was evil. Moonstar wasn't evil though, only a greater warrior.

"FIRE, NIGHT, AND RAIN HAVE REACHED THREE MOONS WHICH MEANS IT IS TIME FOR THEM TO BECOME APPRENTICES!" she yowled. "Fang," she said.

The striped tom stepped forward, bowing to Moonstar. "Yes, Moonstar?" he asked through gritted teeth.

"You are brave and a strong fighter. You will teach this onto Fire," she commanded.

Fang nodded, watching as Fire ran down to him and touched his nose to his.

"Now Night," she began. She looked around for a good cat to teach the wimpy she-cat. "Ah, Screechshade."

The she-cat walked forward, bowing to Moonstar.

"You are strong and vicious. Teach these characteristics onto Night."

"I will, Moonstar," Screechshade told her.

"Now Rain," she said, staring at the tom she had strangled only a few minutes prior. She needed a cat to whip him into shape.

"Bone," she said.

The deputy bowed to his leader.

"Rain is a special kind of cat. He might need help with his warrior training. It is your job to teach him how to be a vicious warrior. Show no mercy to him," she growled.

Rain stood, quivering as she walked down to touch noses with his mentor.

"I shall teach him everything I know, Moonstar," Bone said, a malicious smile on his face.

"Good," she said.

The clan stood, looking at Moonstar, afraid of their leader. Moonstar had probably just sent Rain to his death. When she glanced at Ice, she saw the she-cat quivering in fear as well. And when she looked at Rock, he looked scared as well for his son.