Chapter 7

Moonpaw was in her fifth moon of training now, not that it would do much good. Sunstar liked to keep cats apprentices a little longer, thinking extra training would make a good warrior.

"If I were in SnowClan, I'd be a warrior next moon," she muttered under her breath.

She walked through the woods at night, listening to the wind whistle through the trees. The cold air chilled her, but she continued walking until she saw Fang.

"Fang!" she exclaimed.

The tom ran up to her, a smile on his face.

"Moonpaw! Hi!"

Moonpaw looked down at her paws. "I'm expecting kits," she told him.

Fang let out a big grin. "That's great, Moonpaw!"

Moonpaw didn't smile though. "No, it's not! Most apprentices who have kits don't survive," she told him. The truth was that Moonpaw had known for two weeks, but she hadn't bothered telling him until now. She had been stealing Mistyfall's medicine to hide it.

"Moonpaw, you're almost a warrior. You'll be fine," Fang assured her.

Moonpaw sighed. "All right," she said.

A week had passed since Moonpaw had told Fang the news. She awoke one morning, hearing Sunstar yelling.

"Get him to the medicine cat den!" she instructed.

Moonpaw slowly got up, peeking her head inside the medicine cat den. It was the black tom from the gathering! He sat on a nest, his pelt soaking wet. He looked tired and exhausted.

"What's your name?" Mistyfall asked.

"Blackpaw," he coughed. "Th-Thornpaw. She-she's still on the rock," he spoke weakly, coughing tremendously.

"I'll get her!" Sunstar spoke, heading towards the entrance.

HIs name was Blackpaw? Moonpaw continued peeking her head in, staring at the tom. He was handsome, all right. She had thought so ever since she had first laid eyes on him.

Awhile passed, and Moonpaw sat by the den. She crouched down again as Sunstar came back into camp with the brown tabby she-cat following behind her. Thornpaw.

Moonpaw listened to the conversation in the medicine cat den. Though the first part of Mistyfall's conversation was mumbled, she was able to hear, "swallowed an awful lot of water. They might be here awhile."

Awhile? But these were SnowClan apprentices! Surely they were to be returning back to their clan!

By the next day, Blackpaw and Thornpaw were able to walk around, and Moonpaw mustered up all her might to speak to Blackpaw. Blackpaw padded out of the den, jumping at the sight of Moonpaw.

"Hi!" Moonpaw exclaimed. "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. I'm Moonpaw," she told him.

Blackpaw eyed her oddly. "I"m Blackpaw. This is Thornpaw," he told her. Thornpaw nodded, rubbing against Blackpaw. What? How could Blackpaw like this ugly she-cat?

Moonpaw let out a low growl. "Er...welcome to FoxClan."

As Blackpaw padded off, Moonpaw stopped Thornpaw in her tracks. "Listen, you piece of fox-dung!"

Thornpaw tilted her head.

"Why would Blackpaw be interested in a cat like you? Stay away, mouse-brain!" she spat. Thornpaw looked at her in shock, and Moonpaw rushed off to the apprentice den.

"Hey, have you met--" Owlpaw begin.

"YES!" Moonpaw hissed, cutting him off.

Moonpaw sat in the den, hearing footsteps behind her. There was a pause, and then Moonpaw turned, staring into Blackpaw's green eyes.

"Thornpaw told me what you said. What's your problem, Moonpaw?" he growled. "We're just staying here a few days! We're not even in the same clan!"

She hissed and unsheathed her claws. "I like you, Blackpaw, and that Thornpaw has to go!"