Chapter 5

"ALL CATS OLD ENOUGH TO CATCH THEIR OWN PREY JOIN BENEATH THE ROCK FOR A CLAN MEETING!" Sunstar yowled.

"The birth of Ravenkit and Hollykit makes us stronger," Sunstar began. It was true. Honeyfall had given birth to two black kittens, allowing the clan to strive. "And the arrival of Starkit as well." The clan had found a silver she-cat only a few days after Ravenkit and Hollykit were born, and Honeyfall graciously offered to nurse her.

"But today," Sunstar spoke. "We are joined to make four kits apprentices."

Moonkit's paws tingled. She, Owlkit, Cloverkit, and Emberkit quickly padded to the rock, excited to be named apprentices.

"These four kits have reached six moons," Sunstar announced. "Moonkit, you are brave and fierce. From this day forward, until you receive your warrior name, you shall be known as Moonpaw. Foxeye," she spoke.

Moonpaw turned, watching the ginger tom step forward.

"You are a loyal warrior," Sunstar announced. "You will mentor Moonpaw."

Moonpaw raced towards Foxeye and touched her nose to the ginger tom. She was thrilled to have the tom as her mentor.

"Owlkit, you are kind and brave," Sunstar said, turning to Moonpaw's brother. "From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you shall be known as Owlpaw. Yarrowfur," Sunstar spoke.

Moonpaw turned to see the brother of Swamptail step forward.

"You are courageous and strong. You willl mentor Owlpaw," Sunstar announced. Moonpaw moved aside as Owlpaw raced down the rock to touch noses with his new mentor.

"Cloverkit, you are kind and wise. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you shall be known as Cloverpaw. Leopardstream."

Moonpaw watched as the spotted she-cat walked forward.

"You are strong," Sunstar announced. "And you will pass this onto Cloverpaw."

Moonpaw watched as the light gray she-cat raced down the rock, touching noses with her new mentor.

"And Emberkit," Sunstar said, turning to her son. "You are strong and brave. From this day forward, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Emberpaw. Tigerpelt," she announced.

The striped tom looked up, awaiting Sunstar's words.

"You are strong and fierce. You will mentor Emberpaw."

Emberpaw quickly rushed down, touching noses to his new mentor.

"MOONPAW! OWLPAW! CLOVERPAW! EMBERPAW!" the clan cried. Moonpaw smiled, running down the rock to her new mentor.

"What fighting moves will we learn today?!" she asked Foxeye excitedly.

Foxeye chuckled. "Moonpaw, we aren't ready for that. Today, I'll show you around the territory."

Moonpaw let out a small groan. If she wanted to be leader, she needed to learn fighting moves.

"And this is the SnowClan border," Foxeye announced. Moonpaw looked out into the gigantic territory. She watched as a patrol went by, lead by a calico she-cat. On the patrol, she also noticed a gray tabby tom, a white she-cat, and three apprentices. One was black, another a brown tabby, and the third, reddish-brown.

Moonpaw left with Foxeye, finishing her tour of the forest. Heading back into camp, Owlpaw jumped around excitedly.

"Yarrowfur showed me all of the territories and-" Moonpaw stoppd listening. Sometimes, her brother was incredibly annoying. And he thought he would be leader.

Moonpaw padded into the apprentice den, curling up in her new nest. She smiled, falling into a deep sleep.

Moonpaw dreamt she was in the forest. Green leaves grew around the trees, a small stream trickled through the woods. StarClan.

Suddenly, a silver she-cat padded towards her. Moonpaw's stomach dropped as she immediately recognized her.

"Silverwhiser?" she asked weakly.

The silver she-cat nodded. Moonpaw was surprised the she-cat had even made it to StarClan after the way she had treated Moonpaw.

"What are you doing here?" Moonpaw asked.

"The prophecy is clear now, Moonpaw. You are the cat that will bring danger," Silverwhisker announced.

Moonpaw tilted her head. "Uh, sorry, Silverwhisker, you're kind of confusing," Moonpaw admitted. Why was her mother saying lies?

"I know it was you that had me assassinated," Silverwhisker spat. "I know everything. StarClan will not be happy with your decisions."

Moonpaw woke up suddenly. What did she mean? If StarClan didn't like her, how could she be leader?