Chapter 6

"Aren't you excited?" Owlpaw asked.

Moonpaw shrugged, looking up to see the full moon shining brightly. For two moons, Moonpaw had been training as an apprentice, and today, she and Owlpaw were on their way to their first gathering.

As for Moonpaw's training, she already knew some battle moves, and she was pretty skilled at hunting!

As the cats reached the clearing, Moonpaw could already recognize SnowClan. She guessed the white she-cat leading the cats towards the clearing was the leader.

Moonpaw's paws tingled as she awaited to go meet other cats. Foxeye smiled at Moonpaw, noticing her excitement. He crouched down next to her, whispering, "The leader is Icestar, and her deputy is Applewhisker," Foxeye said, pointing to the white she-cat and calico deputy. "And that is the medicine cat, Nightwhisker and his apprentice, Spottedpaw."

Moonpaw nodded, looking at the black tom and white she-cat.

Moonpaw left Foxeye to meet other cats. As she walked by, she noticed three familiar apprentices whom she had seen her first day as an apprentice. She padded by, pricking her ears. It sounded as if they were arguing.

"I wish you and Thornpaw had never been born!" the reddish-brown she-cat hissed.

Moonpaw tilted her head. Who was Thornpaw? The black tom? Or the brown tabby she-cat?"

The black tom stepped forward. "Maplepaw, don't say that! It's not my fault I like Thornpaw more than you!"

Moonpaw knew she shouldn't have been eavesdropping, but it was too tempting. She knew now that the brown tabby was Thornpaw, and the reddish-brown she-cat was Maplepaw. But who was the tom?

Moonpaw jumped as Owlpaw touched her shoulder. "Exciting, huh?" he exclaimed.

Moonpaw opened her mouth to reply, only to be cut off by a yowl. The gathering was about to begin! Together, she and Owlpaw rushed towards FoxClan, sitting with the other cats.

"Would you like to go first, Sunstar?" the white she-cat asked.

Sunstar dipped her head. "Certainly, Icestar. FoxClan grows stronger. We have four new apprentices-Moonpaw, Owlpaw, Cloverpaw, and Emberpaw." The four stood up, and Moonpaw smiled as the cats cheered loudly.

"Three new kits have joined FoxClan as well. Our medicine cat, Mistyfall, has been doing well. She has recently taken on an apprentice! Spottedpaw!"

Moonpaw laughed a little as the ginger she-cat stood up. The SnowClan and FoxClan medicine cat apprentices had the same name!

Icestar smiled as the cheering went down. "SnowClan grows stronger too. We have three new apprentices-Cloudpaw, Skypaw, and Petalpaw." A white she-cat, a white tom, and a gray tabby she-cat stood up. Why did Icestar look so caring for the three apprentices?

Moonpaw shrugged, watching as the gathering came to an end. As the cats began to depart, Owlpaw raced up to Moonpaw.

"Wasn't that fun?!"

Moonpaw shrugged, padding back to camp.

"No, no! Do it this way!" Foxeye explained.

Moonpaw growled. Why was she having so much trouble learning a simple attack move? She lunged at Foxeye, surprised as he stepped aside.

"MOUSE DUNG!" Moonpaw spat. "You didn't tell me you were going to do that!" Moonpaw complained.

"So you think in a battle a cat will let you attack them? Now, try again!"

Moonpaw nodded, lunging at Foxeye. She successfully landed on Foxeye, digging her claws into his pelt.

"Very good," Foxeye purred. "Are you okay, Moonpaw? You've been acting different lately."

She had. Ever since she met Fang, they had been meeting in secret every other night. She had been tired and had been having trouble concentrating. Fang was now her secret mate, and they had been mates for three moons now. They had first become mates when Moonpaw was an apprentice. As much as Moonpaw felt guilty for being mates with a rogue, she didn't let if affect her plans to be a leader.

"I'm fine," she told Foxeye. "Just tired, that's all."

Foxeye tilted his head. "All right, then."