Chapter 9

Moonpaw let out a large yowl as a wave of pain spread through her entire body. "Fang! Fang! My kits are coming!" she yowled.

Fang raced into one of the dens they had built, his mouth full of moss. He set it down next to her, and Moonpaw winced as pain spread through her. "Okay, Moonpaw, stay calm," Fang told her.

Moonpaw nodded, sinking her claws into the ground as the pain passed. Fang was no medicine cat. Would everything turn out okay?

Time passed, and Moonpaw yowled as a kit slid onto the moss. It was a striped brown tabby tom. Moonpaw turned, looking at her son, and smiled.

The joy was too short though as she let out another yowl of pain. A spotted she-cat slid onto the moss. Fang pushed her towards her mother, and Moonpaw let out a sigh.

She yowled once more as a third kit was born. A dusky brown tom slid onto the moss, and Fang pushed him next to his siblings.

"Is that it?" Moonpaw asked.

Fang shook his head, placing his paw on her stomach. "One more, I think."

Moonpaw yowled once more as a brown tabby she-cat was born. She breathed heavily, glad the pain was over. Had she really survived?

"Such wonderful kits," Fang purred, smiling.

Moonpaw smiled at her mate. "I'll name them," she purred.

She looked at the stripe tom and smiled. "This will be Tigerkit," she purred, smiling at her son. She turned to the spotted she-cat, thinking for a moment. "This will be Leopardkit." She turned to the dusky brown om, pondering for a second. "This will be Chesnutkit," she said. Lastly, she looked at the brown tabby she-cat. "And this will be Hazelkit."

"Wonderful names!" Fang exclaimed. "And will you take on a new name, Moonpaw?"

Moonpaw nodded. "From this moment on, my name is Moonstar." She smiled, licking her kits. "You will be great warriors of MoonClan," she whispered to them, smiling.

A moon had passed since Moonstar's kits had been born. Unfortunately, they still hadn't found members.

Moonstar watched as Tigerkit and Leopardkit were playing around. They seemed to always be doing that. As for Chesnutkit and Hazelkit, they seemed to cower in fear over the MoonClan idea. Moonstar ignored it though, knowing they'd have no choice.

"Fang, I need to go into the forest to find some cats. Will you watch the kits? I might be there for awhile," she told him.

Fang nodded. "Take as much time as you need."

Moonstar padded into the woods, beginning her journey to search for members. She did not want to be searching for long, but she knew that she needed more members. She traveled quickly and quietly, and for about three sunrises, she rushed through the woods.

It was when she scented a cat that she stopped. She crouched into the bushes, watching as a white tom padded by.

"How much longer, Tinyblaze?" the white tom asked the she-cat beside him. He was strong and muscular, perfect for MoonClan.

"It is a longer walk, Whitestar. You've already gone to the stone that gives you your lives. Now, have patience as you return. The clan will not be expecting you until tomorrow."

"I don't want to wait," Whitestar growled.

Moonstar rushed past some bushes, causing leaves to fly into the air. Yes, this tom would be perfect for her clan, just perfect.

"I hear something," Whitestar spat.

Tinyblaze stopped. "What? What do you hear?"

Moonstar emerged out of the bushes, causing the medicine cat, Tinyblaze, to crouch down in fear.

"What? What do you want?" Whitestar spat.

"My name is Moonstar," she began.

"How did you find us?" Whitestar growled, unsheathing his claws. "No one has ever found BloodClan before. Tinyblaze, seize her! Poppypaw and Strikepaw are becoming warriors soon, aren't they? This could be a good offering."

The medicine cat slowly made her way towards her, though Moonstar laughed, leaping over her.

"Perhaps we can work out a day," she purred. "You're obviously the new leader, are you not?"

Whitestar growled. "I am. Scram before i murder you!"

That won't be necessary," she laughed, pinning the tom down. She light traced a claw over his throat. "It would be a shame to kill the leader of such a good clan, wouldn't it?"

"Who are you?!" Whitestar hissed.

"I've told you already. I am Moonstar, leader of MoonClan," she hissed. "We're growing a clan, and we're planning to kill out two clans and take opver a large forest. We're in need of members."

"I've told you already, she-cat," Whitestar hissed, attempting to throw Moonstar off of him. She wouldn't budge. "I already own this forest."

Moonstar brought her claws down closer to Whitestar's throat. "Yes, maybe. Do you have a family? Maybe they could join as well. Maybe you could be my trustful deputy, perhaps?"

Whitestar's eyes seemed to light up. "Deputy?" he asked.

"Yes, a great idea!" Moonstar spoke. "And you could rule the forest with me!"

Whitestar's eyes grew wide. He was power-hungry, Moonstar was sure of it.

"All right. I'll be your deputy. If you could please get off me," Whitestar murmured.

Moonstar slowly got off the tom, smiling. "Meet me back here tomorrow night with your family. Then, you can come to the clan, perhaps."

"Yes," Whitestar spoke. "I shall."

He began to pad off, and the medicine cat beside him spoke, "Whitestar, sir! You're already running a clan!"

"Quiet, medicine cat," he hissed padding away.

Moonstar smiled, glad the plan was working out.

The next night, the stars shined freely, and Moonstar sat in the woods, awaiting Whitestar to arrive. When he did, he came with his mate, a white she-cat, and his son and daughter, also white cats.

"Follow me," she purred.

After about two sunrises, she arrived back at camp, Fang running to greet her. He let out a smile as he saw the other cats by her. A gray tom stood beside him, and Moonstar tilted her head, waiting for an explanation.

"This cat, Rock, has graciously offered to join our clan. I see you found members too."

"Yes," Moonstar purred. "You four may change your names if you want to. I know that Whitestar, Snowfeather, Flightpaw, and Icepaw aren't the toughest names."

"I'd like to be called Bone," Whitestar spat.

"And I want to be called Tooth!" Flightpaw exclaimed.

"I'll just be called Ice," Icepaw spoke.

"I will remain Snowfeather," the older she-cat spoke, her eyes fixed on Moonstar's. Something told Moonstar that this she-cat did not seem like a good MoonClan warrior.

Moonstar pricked her ears as she heard the mews of her own kits.

"Are those kits?" Snowfeather asked.

Moonstar nodded. "Four of mine, actually."

"May I watch them?" Snowfeather asked. "I was in charge of watching kits back home."

Moonstar smiled, liking the idea of this. With Snowfeather watching her kits, Moonstar could get a lot more done. "Of course."

Snowfeather padded into the nursery, leaving Moonstar out front. She turned to Fang now. "Bone is our deputy," she told him. "And, once my kits are three moons old, we'll be making an appearance to SnowClan and FoxClan in which we will declare battle."

"Perfect," Fang purred.