Chapter 2

As soon as the two returned back from the forest, Silverwhisker was furious.

"I TOLD YOU THAT YOU WERE NOT ALLOWED IN THE FOREST!" she hissed, lashing her tail.

Moonkit shrunk down beside her brother, trying to avoid her mother's icy gaze.

Sunstar sat in the nursery with her two kits, staring at Silverwhisker. Though leaders weren't supposed to have kits, Sunstar made an exception, and she stepped down to raise her kits while her deputy took over. Once her kits were apprentices, however, she'd go back to leading.

"Silverwhisker, don't be too harsh," the ginger she-cat said. "They're just kits. They don't know any better. Don't you remember that thrill when you first stepped into the forest?" she asked. Moonkit watched as Sunstar's kits sat by her. Her two kits were only a few days older than Moonkit and Owlkit. There was Cloverkit, a gray tabby she-cat, who was kind and sweet, and there was Emberkit, a ginger tabby tom who greatly resembled Sunstar.    

 "I promised I would never let anything happen to them," Silverwhisker growled at Sunstar, though Moonkit was sure she was saying the words to herself. Moonkit watched as her mother looked down and sighed. "I'm sorry Moonkit and Owlkit. You kits are not allowed in the forest though, understand?"

Owlkit nodded, while Moonkit just gazed down. Why couldn't they go into the woods? It hadn't been that scary.

As Silverwhisker walked off, Moonkit turned, seeing Owlkit looking down. "Let's go play in the camp," she suggested.

At this idea, Owlkit's eyes lit up, and he nodded. They padded outside, Emberkit and Cloverkit following behind.

Emberkit spoke up as they came into camp. "I bet Foxpaw and Honeypaw will become mates. They're always with each other."

Moonkit nodded, agreeing with the ginger tom. She had seen the two together, and she was sure they'd be mates by the time they were warriors.

Moonkit turned, seeing Honeypaw pad over to Mistypaw. She had seen them talking before, and she noted that the two sisters would chat day by day about their training.

Moonkit continued looking at the cats, watching as the deputy, Swamptail, padded over to the kits.

"How are our four kits doing today?" he asked. Moonkit looked into his pale green eyes, staring at his mucky brown coat.

"Great!" Cloverkit exclaimed. Moonkit turned to find Sunstar padding out of the den. She watched as Sunstar lightly touched Cloverkit's shoulder with her tail.

Cloverkit let out a squeal of laughter, watching as Sunstar padded up to the top of the rock.

   "ALL CATS OLD ENOUGH TO CATCH THEIR OWN PREY JOIN BENEATH THE ROCK FOR A CLAN MEETING!" she yowled. Moonkit stood by the nursery as cats began to gather around the rock.

"Maybe she's making us apprentices early," Owlkit joked. Moonkit laughed, watching as Honeypaw and Foxpaw walked to the top of the rock.

"I call upon my warriors ancestors to look upon these two apprentices," Sunstar began. "They have trained hard to follow your noble code, and I grant them to you as warriors in return. Honeypaw, from this day forward you shall be known as Honeyfall. And Foxpaw, from this day forward you shall be known as Foxeye. May StarClan light your path."

"HONEYFALL! FOXEYE! HONEYFALL! FOXEYE!" the clan cried.

Moonkit turned, seeing Mistypaw cheering on her sister. Windnose stood beside her, smiling at his apprentice.

Moonkit jumped as Owlkit touched her. "When I'm a warrior, I'll be the best warrior ever. They'll have to make me leader," he told her, waving his tail.

"Leader? But that's what I want to be!" Moonkit exclaimed, toppling on top of her brother. Owlkit laughed and knocked Moonkit over, enough to make her laugh. Though it seemed like fun and games, it was the truth. Moonkit truly did want to be leader. She had to be the best warrior ever! Her clan was the one thing she cared about more than anything.

Moonkit gasped as Silverwhisker picked her up by the scruff. "Come on now," she said. Moonkit groaned as she padded into the nursery.

Owlkit followed behind the two, yelling, "I'm coming!"