prologue

Ashton's POV

Stealing was a regular thing for me, ever since my parents kicked me out that is.

About a year ago, I'd come out to them as bisexual and they'd freaked. I never once thought that would happen given I did still like girls but in their eyes I was just as gay as someone who did only like the same sex; in response they kicked me out.

Initially, I was opposed to stealing but desperate times called for desperate measures and I was forced to start stealing. Without it I'd starve because without a home I wasn't allowed to collect money from the state, which was stupid in my opinion given I was in most need but I couldn't change the criteria.

Over the time I'd been out on the streets, I'd become quite bitter because I found out just how heartless people were and how nasty some of them were to the homeless. People just thought I was lazy and should just get a job, some people had a thought process so simplistic it matched that of a child and it was sad and disturbing. If I could get a job then I certainly would but how can you employ a hopeless person?

No matter what their thought process or how simple others thought it was, the reality of the situation was that I was homeless and I wouldn't be getting out it any time soon.

This was why I stole things, I needed to survive and in my situation it was the only way I could. What else could I do to feed myself? Not unless people donated money to me and that ran out eventually, especially with people becoming increasingly tight-fisted as they didn't have much disposable cash themselves.

Life sucked but I just had to keep on going.

Walking down the street, I got some odd looks due to my dirty appearance and probably the unpleasant smell but I ignored them as best I could. They were known of my concern and I always had to remember that.

Spotting the shop I wanted to steal from, I made my way over to it and entered it quietly when I saw a young boy stood at the till. He didn't seem to notice my presence and I was thankful for that as I slipped towards the aisle with sandwiches and crisps on.

Picking up what I wanted, I shoved the food into my dirty coat before making my way over to the fridge to grab a drink. A large bottle of pop was located at the bottom and I grabbed it, hiding it next to me as I discreetly tried to leave the shop. However, a shout of "Hey!" Stopped me in my tracks before I dashed towards the door but the boy blocked my way.

"Hey, you haven't paid for that." The blonde boy said as he pressed himself against the door to stop me exiting.

Throwing him an annoyed look I said, "Does it really look like I could afford to buy this stuff?"

The boy then looked me up and down before widening his eyes a little bit, "W-well, no but still."

"Still what? I'm homeless, you can either let me starve or let me take this stuff which doesn't even cost £5 and that's hardly any skin off your nose now is it?" I snapped, not in the mood for conversations.

Sighing, the boy seemed to think it over before moving out of the way of the door. "I'll pay, don't worry about it." He then said and my mouth tugged up into a smile, which I hadn't done in a long while.

"Thank you." I said before quickly exiting and going 'home', which was just the spot in an alleyway I always sat in.

The boy's quickness to let me off made me happy for more than just the fact he was helping me out, he'd be a good place to go next time because I had yet to give him my fully story which would surely pull at his little heartstrings.

(Word Count: 682)