one

Ashton's POV

Believing the boy at the shop would be gullible enough to let me steal from them twice, I popped back a few days after my first visit. I thought going back the day after would be pushing it too far and so now may be my best bet.

Walking up the shop, I sneaked in just like the first time and my plan was to try and steal like I would normally by sneaking in, grab the stuff and sneak out; this was just in case Luke wasn't feeling so gullible today but I hadn't told him my sob story yet so I think right now I was relatively safe.

However, I sneaked in and went to the desired aisle and grabbed the food I wanted. Luke had yet to notice me from behind the counter and so I took a few more items then I needed for the day but I was homeless so, you know? Once I got the food, I moved to the fridge and that was when Luke noticed me.

"Hey, it's you again!" He yelled over the counter and I moved towards the door but he stopped me once again.

"Hey, come on," I stopped to read his name tag before continuing, "I'm homeless, I live in a dirty alleyway and I have no money to get food. I wouldn't do this if I didn't have to." I pleaded with the blonde.

"I know it's hard but you can't keep stealing, not from here at least. I got in trouble the other day for letting you take the stuff, even though I paid for you but I don't have a lot of money myself." Luke said and I almost felt bad for the boy before I realised that my situation was a whole lot worse than his.

"Did your parents kick you out for being bisexual? Did you get left on the street because the state won't give you money unless you have a registered home? Do you have to beg for food which is a basic human right and then get insults spat in your face just because people think you're lying and trying to take their precious money from them? Do you have to beg for people to show you just a little bit of kindness?" I finished my little rant to Luke, hoping it would strike a nerve within him because I really needed this food and he was the easiest target I know.

Looking stunned and then looking like he was thinking over my words, Luke sighed and squeezed his eyes shut before looking at me again.

"Ok, I'll scan them through and I'll pay for them. That way you won't starve and I won't get in trouble." Luke said and I couldn't stop the smile that made its way across my face for the second time, both caused by the blonde boy.

"Thank you, really." I thanked the boy, feeling grateful at his kindness which I didn't get a lot of.

Following him over to the till, he scanned the items through before putting them in a bag for me and then closing the till. I shot him a confused look when he didn't put money in.

Recognising this, Luke said, "We're not allowed money on the shop floor so I'll have to put it in when you're not here. I'm not saying you'd steal money or anything but I can't stake the risk." Luke quickly clarified at the end of his speech, I smiled because it was cute he didn't want to offend me about stealing even though I was just trying to steal from the shop.

"You've got every right to think I'd steal money, I don't because that's more valuable to people then stealing food and I understand that isn't fair to take." I said and it was Luke's turn to smile.

"That's nice of you." Luke said and I nodded.

"I may be a thief but it's only out of necessity and I don't want to make it worse for people who may not be well of themselves so I don't take money."

"I'm glad your crappy situation hasn't made you horrible then, I know I'd be horrible." Luke said and I smiled, enjoying the sort of compliment.

"Well, aren't you sweet?" I then commented, more sarcastically than anything, but Luke blushed regardless of the way the phrase was supposed to come across. "But I best be going, don't want to hold you too long now do I?"

"It's not really a problem, not many people come in the shop at this time." Luke said and I just smiled at him before turning around to leave. "Wait!" The boy then called out, stopping me just before I could leave the shop. "What's your name?"

"Ashton." I answered with a smile before leaving the shop.

As I walked back to the alley, I couldn't help but think there was something sweet about him. Not many people would pay for my food and it was kind of him to do it. Even if I thought he was gullible, I appreciated his kindness even if I wouldn't stop my bitterness.

(Word count: 863)