Chapter 34

Patrick told me that everybody was outside. I just nodded and started to follow him towards the patio door to the backyard. I could see all three of my uncles out there by the grill. Aria and Phoebe were both sitting at the table, but weren’t speaking. I could tell neither of them were happy.

Just as Patrick and I were getting closer to the door, Vanessa came back inside. She smiled brightly at us. “Hey, boys! What are you up to?"

“Not much,” Patrick said on our behalf. “Just talking.”

“That’s nice. The girls are out there,” Vanessa said, pointing outside. “They look crabby though, so watch out.” She laughed lightly and I tried not to grimace. Patrick caught my eye and I looked away. “Caise, why don’t you come help me finish up the salads in the kitchen?”

“I don’t know, aunt Vanessa,” Patrick started to say.

She gave him a look, though, that made him stop talking. “Nonsense. Patrick you go cheer up the girls. Aria said Jaxon will be here soon. And make sure your fathers and uncle don’t burn the food.”

Vanessa swiftly started to walk away and I didn’t have a choice but to follow her. If I didn’t, it would just raise unnecessary questions. Patrick gave me an apologetic look, but I bit my lip and walked away.

I entered the kitchen and she put a couple bowls on the counter. Vanessa laid out the ingredients and everything we needed in order to make the two different kinds of pasta salads. I followed her instructions and let her tell me what to put in my bowl. It took me a few minutes to learn that my salad was a bacon, ranch pasta salad with bowtie noodles. It looked really good--and even made my stomach growl even though the thought of food these last couple weeks always seemed to make me sick.

“We haven’t gotten a chance to talk in a while, Caise,” my aunt said, heading over to the refrigerator to grab something. “What’s been going on with you?”

For once, I was being asked this question and it was being uttered in simply a curious tone. There weren’t any hidden tricks or accusations to it. She wasn’t trying to pry or force something out of me that I didn’t want to talk about. My aunt Vanessa, bless her soul for this, was honestly just wondering how I was doing. I felt like I was in an alternate universe because of it.

I tried to hide my pleasant surprise as I answered her. “Oh not a whole lot, I guess.”

Aunt Vanessa came back over to me and gave me a knowing look. “Caise, I know all about you and your boyfriend.”

My body tensed when she said that. What was she talking about? What did she mean by that? She couldn’t possibly know about the bruises. I didn’t see her very often. Nobody knew but me and Rikert.

“Y-you do?” I asked warily.

“Of course,” she beamed happily. “You’re dating that Rikert boy. Now, I know my Phoebe has had her heart set on him for a while, but she’s young! She’ll bounce back. So don’t let her bully you.”

I let out a breath in relief and added more ranch dressing to my salad. “Oh.”

“I’ve heard such great things about you two. Marck and Kris say that he’s a remarkable kid and that he really seems to care about you,” she said. “If you two really are in love or whatever, then hold onto it. Because you don’t always get so lucky to find someone so special.”

I swallowed and bit my lip. I put a few of the mini pepperonis into the bowl and stirred it up. Vanessa worked on perfecting her own dish as we stood in silence for a minute or two.

“Aunt Vanessa?” I blurted out before I could stop myself.

“Yeah?” she wondered, throwing me a smile.