Chapter 37

I slept for a lot longer than I had intended to. It was almost noon as I rolled over in my bed to check the time on my phone. It had died in the night, so I had to plug it in and glanced at the alarm clock instead. My eyes went wide in surprise.

Shakily, I got to my feet and instantly fell back onto the bed. My vision blurred from my sudden movements. Yeah, I had certainly gotten far too much sleep. My bladder was painfully full, my stomach groaned in protest of intense hunger, and my throat was dry to the point of making me panic.

I got back to my feet, steadier now, and rushed to the bathroom. I relieved myself and washed my hands before throwing my head desperately under the faucet to get something to drink. Rubbing sleep from my eyes, I suddenly hissed and popped my eyes open wide. I stared back at my ungodly reflection as pain flashed across my features and bruised face.

It wasn't pretty, and I wasn't about to sugarcoat it. My face was purple and blue and if it was the evening sky the colours might have been gorgeous. But on my face, they were nothing less than absolutely grotesque.

I paced around my bathroom and then bedroom wondering what on earth I could possibly do to cover this up. I knew that no matter what the bruise would stay until at least Monday. That meant I had three more days to get through; three more days to hide. And I also knew I couldn't wear a hood over my face every second.

For now, it would work, though. I quickly donned my sweatshirt from the previous day and pulled the hood up. I just needed to see if the basement was empty. Maybe there was some sort of way to cover my face up. I needed makeup or something, but nothing like that was in my bathroom. I was hoping that maybe one of the girls had left something lying around.

I held my breath as I quietly and slowly turned the doorknob and peeked out into the sitting room. Thankfully no one was around. And Patrick's door was open with no lights on. He was probably upstairs or something.

I crept out of my room hastily and searched around for a few minutes. There was nothing to be found, much to my chagrin. Refusing to leave defeated, I dared to enter Patrick's room. It took me a moment before I saw the girlish side-bag sitting on top of his bed.

I rushed over to it and realized it was Aria's--she brought it with her nearly everywhere--which meant she was over and that I had to hurry. If my cousin's came downstairs now, I would be so fucked. I searched through it and easily found the light-coloured powder that I knew would be a good enough match for my pale skin. The way I saw it, anything was better than what my face looked like right now. Plucking it from the bag, I ran from the room and made it back to the safety of my own room with no problems. Locking the door, I went to my bathroom and set to work.

It felt like it took me ages to get rid of the nasty colouring on the left side of my face. My arms were aching and my fingers were threatening to cramp up by the time I was done. But it looked so much better. Unless you were looking for it, you would have serious difficulty in finding any blemishes or bruises on my skin. It was perfect. This makeup bullshit was like magic or something, I swore it. It was no wonder girls used it.

The knock that came on my bedroom door nearly scared the living shit out of me. I jumped and turned to stare at the door.

"Caise?" Patrick's voice drifted into the room and I started to calm down just hearing the soothing lull in it. "Are you awake?"

"Y-yeah," I responded loudly, as I stashed the stolen makeup underneath my mattress.

"Oh," Patrick said. He sounded a little surprised. I guessed that meant he'd probably already been through this motion once before. He tried the doorknob but it was locked. "What are you doing?"