6. Death

You were happy, and you found people who accepted you and didn't leave you alone. You wanted to stay with Sesshōmaru, Rin and Jaken forever, but you had the eerie feeling for the past few days that someone was watching you. They weren't an 'admirer', or just some stalker. They were out to kill you

It was late at night, you lay against a tree next to Sesshōmaru, asleep. He was so warm and comfy, you ended up falling asleep in a matter of seconds. It was the first time in a while that you didn't sleep with nightmares.

~~~

The sun was barely just peaking above the hills, giving off a blood red glow. Your eyes perked open. You always were an early bird and would run to your parent's room to wake them up when you were little. You could hear the small slow breaths of Sesshōmaru next to you. You'd never actually seen him sleep before.

"(F/N)... (F/N)..."

You heard a voice that would make most people shiver with terror. Chills ran down your spine. You glanced back at Sesshōmaru. He hadn't heard anything, and you decided to go after the voice. Maybe it'd give you a clue to your stalker? You somehow or another managed to slowly stand up and creep away without waking Sesshōmaru, Jaken or Rin, then you set off to find the voice. It didn't take long at all, and there was a silhouette stood at the top of the hill, the sun rising behind him like some sort of stage. He turned to face you as if he expected you and had this all planned out.

"So, you came," he said in a deep voice. The first cracks of sunlight lit up behind him, lighting up more of his facial features. He had long, seaweed-like hair that extended almost down to his knees. It was a horrible green colour. His eyes were red and they glinted as his eyes met yours.

"And who are you?!" You spat, trying to sound aggressive. He chuckled a little.

"Well, you're a feisty one!" He chortled. "Don't worry, I'm just here to take your life," he said casually. Your hand drifted towards your belt to grab your fan, but he didn't give you any time to react. Before you knew it, he'd already sheaved his sword and was ready to slice before you could even think to dodge. He gave you a grin before slicing down the front of your body with his sword, tearing some of your clothes.

"Gagh!" You felt your old wound slash open and you fell to your knees in pain. Blood splattered on the floor and poured down your body. You could feel something coursing through your veins—poison?

"Is that all?! The daughter of Asuka and this is all you've got!?" He laughed putting his sword back in its hilt. He pulled up his sleeve, revealing a large purple scar that crawled all the way from his wrist to his shoulder. There was miasma deep in his arm flowing through his veins, and you could smell it, but the smell was familiar.

"That scar... My mother did that to you!" You stuttered, your arm gripped around your stomach to pointlessly try to stop the bleeding. You remembered your mother would tell you about the battles she'd have. She told you about a battle she had with a man with seaweed-like hair whom she defeated before you were born.

"Correct." His facial expressions turned angry. "And ever since I lost that fight, her poisonous miasma's been seeping into my body and killing me little by little each day!" He growled. "Since Asuka is dead, I can't lift this stupid curse... But, I can at least kill you, her only daughter, and that will at least weaken the pain!" He lunged towards you once again, and you couldn't do anything. Your wounds weren't healing! He stabbed you in your stomach, cutting wound upon wound. He was causing more cuts than you had time to heal. This was bad... Bad, bad, BAD! You fell down to your back, and he stood at your feet, a smirk plastered on his face. He'd used some kind of poison and your body was starting to weaken quickly. Being a forest demon, some strong poisons were enough to cause permanent death. Your body would wilt and die just like the trees and flowers.

".. S-Sesshōmaru... Help me..." You said, your voice barely a whisper. You took a deep breath and put your all into shouting his name as loud as you could. "...SESSHŌMARU!!" If you could just see his face one last time...

"Hm? Calling for help?" The man laughed at your plea for help and placed his foot on your stomach, pressing it down hard. "He's not coming to save you! He never liked you to begin with! They all hate you!!" He half shouted, half laughed. He was toying with your head, you knew he was, but it still got to you...

"Liar... You're a liar!" You retorted, tears forming in your eyes.

"Poor girl... I know!" He rose his finger motioning that he had an idea. "If you beg, I won't kill this 'Sesshōmaru' guy!"

"Don't... Don't you even go near him!" You growled. "He'll come for me... You'll see..." You smiled. You felt cold. You couldn't feel the pain anymore, and your whole body was numb. Was this what it's like when someone is dying? You closed your eyes in exhaustion. The poison had ran its course, and your limbs were started to shrivel like dying roots.

"Your 'Sesshōmaru' will never come! You'll die here, and you'll die alone! Time for you to suffer in the netherwo-" he stopped halfway through his sentence, and you opened your eyes to see what was going on. His body was sliced in half, and his face wore a shocked expression. It was Sesshōmaru... He came for you...

"N-No..!" Were the man's last words before the top half of his body fell to the floor along with his legs. Sesshōmaru sliced what was left of him. You laughed slightly—he got what was coming for him. Sesshōmaru walked over to your blood-covered body and carefully held you in his arms.

"...Thanks, Sesshōmaru... I knew you'd come..." You muttered. "...I didn't doubt you... Not for a minute.." You choked out in between deep breaths.

"Don't talk," he said sternly, but you could swear you heard his voice crack slightly.

"I'm so cold... But, I'm happy that I got to spend my last moments with you.." With the last of your strength, you pulled Sesshōmaru down and placed your lips on his: your way of saying goodbye. You smiled as you let go. "Thank you.."

You thought you were ready to die... But you didn't want to anymore... You wanted to stay with Sesshōmaru and Rin and even Jaken. You wanted to stay... Your eyes slowly filled with tears but you gave your best smile just before the light engulfed your vision.

So, this is what it feels like...

What it feels like to die...

---