Chapter Three

a/n Whoa, whoa, whoa. This was a long time ago (look at the pic)! Who remembers this? Actually, who's been reading my book since "Old Wattpad" lol? I guess here's some inspiration to help you grow if you're a FanFic writer like muah!

Don't hesitate to fix any of my dumb mistakes, too! :) I appreciate it.

Delicate wings fluttered with grace around the air, beating gently with a soft rhythm. The creature—a small butterfly—landed on a flower tucked by the roots of a small oak tree, and it began to suck on the nectar. After it was finished, it launched into the air again and began to fly into a different direction, perhaps to where another flower was. Little did the butterfly know that it had already gotten a taste of its last meal.

A black shadow leaped into the air with outstretched paws, and had pinned down the butterfly by its wings on the bare forest ground. The butterfly struggled, but it was no match for the kitten that had it pinned. With weight as light as a feather, it couldn't even compare to its attacker.

The kit's black tail flicked with pride. "I told Dewkit that I knew how to hunt!" she puffed angrily, releasing her paws from the already dead butterfly. "I wish he were here. If I tell him about it, he won't believe me." She gave a deep sigh and looked up at the branches above-head. Suddenly, her spirits lifted. Perhaps some tree-climbing would cheer me up! she thought, quickly forgetting her foolish despair.

With excitement, she raced towards the nearest tree. "Hmm, how do I do this again?" she muttered to herself, closely examining the dark wood. "I remember Blackpaw once telling me that it has something to do with my claws . . ." She placed her tiny paw onto the bark of the tree and sunk her claws into the wood. It was softer than she'd imagined! Maybe instead of pulling herself up, she'd have to walk up as if she were walking normally on the ground? She didn't know much about climbing, except for that one time she ambushed Shadekit by hiding out on top of the nursery, and pounced on him when he got close.

She'd never seen him so mad, and he was already a grumpy denmate!

The bushes behind her rattled, and Ravenkit jumped with fear at the sudden noise, quickly whirling around. She half expected a fox or a badger to appear into the open space, but there was nothing there. I'd better get up this tree fast before I get caught by Icestar's patrol! she decided, gazing up at the tall oak.

Pushing her thoughts behind her head, she leaped onto the bark, claws sinking into the wood, allowing her to stick easily. Nervously, she unhooked one of her forepaws and tried to grip a branch above-head, but her legs trembled from carrying her own weight that she wasn't used to. She tried to ignore it and grabbed on to a sturdy-looking branch, and she hauled herself up with force. Once she steadied herself on top of it, she looked down, feeling successful . . . only to find out she hasn't gone too far up.

"Mouse-dung, this is hard!" she muttered to herself, and she turned to look up at the top of the tree once more. It'd take far too long to get up there!

Suddenly, she heard a familiar yowl. "Ravenkit! Where are you?"

Ravenkit jumped with shock, but she had no time to react. Instantly, her claws seemed to unhook from the tree and she lost her footing. The next thing she knew, she had hit the floor, her body sprawling over the the forest ground with pain.

Dewkit gasped, surprise in his eyes. "Oh Ravenkit! Are you alright?" His blue eyes scanned over his sister worriedly.

Ravenkit felt a bit annoyed that Dewkit had actually decided to follow her out into the open. She was even more annoyed, though, at the fact that he caused her to fall from the tree. "I could never be better," she muttered, her voice reflecting on her attitude.