Chapter Thirteen

A/N: Hey guys. Thank you for all your supportive messages. I think you're all right; I WILL continue this book but there is no guarantee that I'll be able to finish it (although I'll try my best. Let's hope I do!!) . . . If it wasn't for the support I don't think I'd even WANT to continue. I really don't deserve such readers who are so good to me! I'm very grateful for you all. And now after a long, long wait, it's about time to give this book another try.

P.S, I re-re-edited the entirety of Icetail's Enemy and what I've written so far for The New Course, so a lot of name mistakes were eliminated, as well as grammar errors and things that simply didn't make sense. I'm pretty sure that the book is 90% mistake-proof now, but since we all know I'm infamous for making silly writing mistakes, there's probably still remnants of those left. But ahh who cares, you guys always fix those mistakes for me~

Now here's a long chapter for a good come back! ;)

The moon glinted off tips of the long blades of grass as Icestar frantically shoved his way through, creating a path for him and Flameheart. Their paws beat hard against the ground, five others behind them in close pursuit. His mind whirled with thoughts of what to do.

If I take them to MoonClan, we'll be able to beat them off with our ranks! he thought. They were approaching his territory fast, and he had to decide quickly where he would lead Flameheart to escape. No, no, I can't let them know where the camp is. If these cats find out about me, then they'll want to come back to kill me and hurt the Clan! He remembered their threats about being from a larger group, and didn't want to risk the chance of not believing their taunts.

Frustrated, he aimlessly pelted through the grass in no particular direction, pushing his paws and legs to go faster. His chest ached from the sudden rush of adrenaline, and his heart beat madly from a sense of danger he'd forgotten since the fall of DarkClan. The grass was becoming harder and harder to push through as he ran.

"They're gaining on us!" Flameheart breathlessly yowled, his frantic eyes meeting with Icestar's.

Their exchange didn't last long, for one of the rogues had leaped right in between the two with outstretched claws and barred fangs. It was the younger she-cat amongst them. She turned to Icestar and bowled into him without warning, tackling him to the ground before he could react. Icestar took no time to hesitate and immediately started kicking. His eyes were turned to the dirt; he couldn't see a thing, but he felt that the she-cat was light. Her build and weight felt a lot like Amberwind's—small and lean, but swift like a moor cat. He hissed at her as she tried raking his claws at him, but she missed every blow, giving him an opportunity to push her off with one final kick. With a gasp of surprise, she tumbled off his body and he scrambled onto his paws. Another rogue tackled right into his direction the moment he stood up, but he was more prepared this time and rolled out of the way in a swift motion.

His eyes found Flameheart ahead of him, running away from three other rogues who were in close pursuit of him. Icestar didn't hesitate for another second and pelted from his spot in the direction of his friend. The other two rogues, recovering onto their paws, broke into a run after him.

The adrenaline pumping through Icestar's blood was so intense that his thoughts became a blur. His body took over instinctually, pushing to get towards Flameheart and then to safety. The she-cat rogue behind him was so close now that he could practically feel her breath on his tail, but he didn't let that faze him and focused on regrouping with his friend to save him from trouble.