Chapter Ten

The moonlight washed over Icestar's dark fur as he lead his Clan through StreamClan territory. The gathering place was close and his heart beat wildly as his mind thought up the things to say. Silverleaf had given him encouraging words before his departure, but even her smooth way of speech couldn't keep his mind from whirling.

Sharpfang nudged Icestar's shoulder. "The Clan will be fine," he said, as if sensing all of Icestar's worries. "Redsky and Petalwing are strong and sharp—they won't let that rogue out of their sight." Before he left, Sharpfang had assigned the two she-cat warriors to watch their prisoner.

"It's not the rogue that I am worried about," muttered Icestar. "I know everyone we left in camp will be fine. It's the gathering I'm worried about."

His paws treaded over the cool soft grass, the muscles in his shoulders tense. He'd walked this path for many moons, and yet it felt different for the first time. The gentle newleaf wind that breezed through his whiskers had an eerie taste, and his fur could not help but prickle. Sweetheart's words . . . the changing forest . . . the new attacks, too. It was causing a change.

The deputy looked over his shoulder to make sure that the group was following closely. "Well, if the speaking is what's making you nervous, stop being such a scaredy-mouse. You've done it plenty of times."

"What's more is, your attitude scares me," Icestar said, at an attempt to create humor.

Sharpfang's ears pricked. "What?"

"You're usually so mean and ill-tempered. You haven't been the grouchy old Sharpfang I used to know these past two moons," he meowed.

Sharpfang rolled his eyes. "You expect me to snap at everyone after a battle? It took a lot of willpower to hold my tongue but if you want I can start here—"

He stopped speaking, and for a moment Icestar wondered why. He opened his mouth to talk, when suddenly, the ground beneath his paws trembled lightly. He stopped in his tracks. Shiningmoon, who was treading closely behind, bumped into his rump, while Volefur and Blacksun peered up.

Sharpfang must have felt the tremor too. "Icestar," his murmur was fast and alarmed. "You don't think another tree will fall?"

He shook his head. "No. It's the forest . . . can't you feel it?"

Though the trees did croak, the ground underpaw felt unsteady. A few paces ahead was a shallow scoop into the ground, covered by bramble thickets and a narrow gaping hole downward. A few more paces, and Icestar would have fallen. He took a step back, his breath caught in his throat, and he let out a cough. It smelled terrible!

So StreamClan is affected too, he thought.

"What is this stench?" Amberwind growled, crouching by her former mentor's side.

Sharpfang inhaled, but it was followed by a short sneeze. "Twoleg stench!" He looked down at the hole. "Icestar, I can't help but recall being down there once when Sparrowheart was still deputy."

Amberwind's ears drew back and her nose scrunched up in disgust. "Yuck!"

"I know," he responded. Then, he turned back to his patrol, consisting of a little over a dozen Clanmates. "We're going to have to go around! I want no cat going near that hole, or any for that matter! Stay as far away from them as possible, and be weary of the trees!"

A few cats murmured with curiosity, but most were with worry.

There's nothing I can say to them now, he thought. I will discuss it tonight at the gathering. As Icestar began to lead around it, Sharpfang held his neck high. "Squirreltail?"