Chapter Four

a/n @Mistyheart101 is AMAZING. This fan-art was originally supposed to be for Icetail's Enemy, but since I'm a turd and forgot to post it there, I'll be posting it here! You guys have should go check out her drawings! Btw, thanks for being patient for the next update.

Icestar paced around, a bit frustrated. He'd been like this for a little while now. It felt absolutely impossible to lift the tree from Skypelt's leg. He, Bloodpaw and Amberpaw could not do it alone, so he ordered his apprentice to fetch help at camp. They should be arriving any moment now; Skypelt looked as if he was at his limit, and there was no doubt that the bones crushed under the tree of his hindpaw were broken.

This'll give Sweetheart a lot of work, he thought with a sigh, recalling the memories of what happens when a cat breaks their bones. He couldn't even imagine the pain that Skypelt had to withstand!

Bloodpaw, who was picking at the barks of the tree like Icestar ordered, spat out a rotten piece. "When will they get here?" he asked, trying to hide the complaint from his voice.

Skypelt grunted. "Hopefully soon!"

Icestar nodded, giving his friend a comforting lick around the ear. "Amberpaw's fast, she'll be here before you can say rabb—"

"I'm here!" an unusually high-pitched voice puffed. With great relief, Icestar looked up to see his apprentice Amberpaw, panting out of breath which explained her tone of voice. Silverleaf was next to reach the fallen tree, just as breathless as the younger she-cat. Her eyes met her father's and she gasped, rushing to his side. Squirreltail and Sharpfang arrived next.

Bloodpaw seemed just as relieved as Icestar. "I thought you'd never make it," muttered the scarlet-furred apprentice.

Sharpfang gave him a disapproving look. "Hush, Bloodpaw. Amberpaw's the fastest cat in camp, and there's not a single one who can outrun her."

Icestar recalled the times that Amperpaw had been desperate to learn the tricks to being fast as a younger apprentice. She was always slower than the others when she first started out, never reacting quick enough to fighting moves or leaping for prey. But the shame of that must have led her to push herself harder than the rest, training her legs to run and move faster than any other cat in MoonClan's. He felt proud that she took such an initiative.

"Maybe Swiftbreeze could, but that doesn't matter." Amberpaw gulped down the last bit of air before letting her breath run out smoothly. "What's more important is helping Skypelt."

"What of Sweetheart?" asked Icestar, looking in between the four of them.

Squirreltail stepped up, and spat a bundle of herbs to the ground. "She said this would do it for the pain. She could not come because some cat needed her, and she'll tend to Skypelt once he gets to camp."

Icestar observed the pile, trying his hardest to remember what they were. When he simply couldn't recall, he nodded towards Amberpaw. "Give Skypelt some."

Amberpaw did as told, and pressed some of the herbs to his mouth. As soon as he licked them up, Sharpfang padded by the tree. "Alright, I will need every cat's help to shift the tree. Bloodpaw, stay by Skypelt to help pull him out. I'm guessing he cannot do it alone."

"Don't worry, we'll get you out," Silverleaf said assuringly to her father. She gave his ear a comforting lick before padding by Icestar's side, giving him and the others a nod.

When the others nodded that they were ready, Icestar ordered, "On my count. One, two, three!"

Every cat's legs strained as they tried their best to move the tree. Bloodpaw stood to the side, waiting for a chance to pull his mentor out, but that chance never came. The group stopped with exhaustion, and they all looked at Icestar.