Chapter Seven

Icestar unsurely looked back to the camp with a deep sigh, eyeing the rogue tom who had been captured just the other day. The stranger, who hadn't eaten ever since his arrival, looked listless and untroubled as he dozed about under the guard of Petalwing and Crowflight. He didn't want to leave camp without his eye on that rogue, but he knew that he couldn't waste time.

Today is Amberpaw and Blackpaw's big day after all, he thought as he turned his gaze over to the two apprentices eating their share from the fresh-kill-pile. If they passed this ceremony, no longer will they be apprentices. They will become full warriors of MoonClan!

He swiftly took a glance at the medicine den, where Dewkit and Ravenkit were having their wounds checked up by Sweetheart. When those two finally have their warrior ceremonies, he would truly enjoy it as much as he would enjoy Amberpaw and Blackpaw's. And Bloodpaw, thought Icestar as he looked at Skypelt, the scarlet apprentices' injured mentor in the medicine den. Bloodpaw will need a new mentor soon if Skypelt's injuries are bad.

Icestar's ear flicked as he noticed Volefur padding through the camp's clearing, his white-and-brown pelt glinting under the sun with his sister at his side. Dawnstripe must be the one who would accompany him to assess Blackpaw. The leader took a deep breath as a faint memory of her late apprentice, Goldenpaw, flashed in his mind. Today should be meant for Goldenpaw, too, Icestar thought sadly. If only she could have become a warrior.

"Good morning," Volefur greeted as he sat by Icestar's side. "It's quite warm today, isn't it?"

Icestar mumbled an agreement as Dawnstripe said, "Warmer than usual, that's what it is. New-leaf is finally here! Prey should be returning, and Amberpaw and Blackpaw might have a good hunt today." Her tone seemed cheerful, and Icestar purred, knowing that he should not think about her dead apprentice any longer. Today was a day meant for the living.

Flameheart, who was supposed to accompany Icestar, arrived at his side a few moments later. "Hello," greeted the rusty-orange tom with a dip of the head. "Is it time to go?"

Icestar looked up to the sun, squinting at its brilliant light. It had finally risen over the tree-tips, and the prey should be scuttling around the forest by now. "You're right." In a slightly louder tone, he called, "Apprentices, it's time to go!"

Amberpaw gulped down the last of her vole from the center of the clearing and began to run up to the waiting cats. Blackpaw, who had already finished, followed closely by his sister's risen tail-tip. Icestar noticed as they got closer to the group that their fur was more neatly groomed than usual, probably to make a good impression to their mentors. It's not about looks, thought Icestar with amusement, but skill and knowledge!

He purred as Amberpaw reached his side. "Sorry I'm late!" she exclaimed, shaking out her muzzle from the last bits of prey that clung under her lip. "I'm ready now. This assessment is going to be great!" Her tail shook with excitement, and her neatly-groomed ginger pelt shone under the sun.

Blackpaw—who was usually indifferent about certain situations—looked excited for once, with some parts of his sleek black fur sticking upward. "Are we going now?"

"Yes," Flameheart purred, beginning to lead the group outside the camp. "Amberpaw, walk by me. I'll be helping Icestar assess you."

Excited, she padded by his side, and Icestar squeezed through the camp entrance after them, following closely behind. Dawnstripe and Volefur came next with Blackpaw as they began their travel through the MoonClan forest.