Chapter 16

Chapter 16-Trip Beings

John slammed the  door to his truck,  satisfied the last bag was packed and their trip could officially begin. " You ready yet Sarah?"  yelled John.  Excited, Sarah yelled "Yeah, be right there Dad!".   John heard the house door shut  and looked over to see Chase walk past his  Impala and head towards John.  Smiling, Chase said, "Are you both ready to go?"  asked Chase.  "Yes, but my daughter can't seem to find her iPod - again!"   "Found it!   It was right there on the table!" John and Chase both smiled as Sarah came out of the house with her iPod in her hand dragging her overly large bag.  "Did you pack enough stuff?"   "Yes Chase, I have enough stuff!".  "Good," interrupted John,  "get in!"   "okay, okay"  Sarah coifed as she handed her Dad the rather heavy bag she so carefully packed.  John winced at the weight of the bag  "let's go!  Chase you're going to follow us right?"  John looked around one last time.  "Don't worry, there's no threat here!" said Chase.  John hesitated but trusted in Chase.  And with that, John got into his truck and headed for California. 

        Chase followed behind the truck for two days until they pulled into a hotel.  The small room wasn't much to look at but at least Sarah had her own bed.   "Dad, they have a pool!  Can I go swimming?"  "Sure, just make sure Chase goes with you and I will be out when I'm done unpacking".  Knowing that John had been uneasy about the trip,  Chase gladly obliged and went to the pool with Sarah.  "Are you going to swim with me Chase?" asked Sarah.  "Oh yeah, of course" said Chase forgetting that he hadn't packed anything.  Right on cue,  a pair of swim trunks appeared in his hands.  Chase had to admit that his powers were pretty cool.  "Okay dad, we're headed to the pool", Sarah looked up and saw that Chase already had his swimsuit on. After all this time in knowing Chase, she sometimes forgot that Chase was an Angel.  She shook her head and was pleasantly surprised on his athletic body.  "Okay, let's go" and she grabbed his arm and they headed out the door.  "I'll be down soon" said John as he stared at the two leaving.  John was eerily uncomfortable but he wasn't quite sure why. 

     The pungent smell of the chlorine was overwhelming as the elevator door opened to the main level.   The pool was empty, there was no one around which made Sarah uneasy and excited!  "Yes, the pool is ours!" Sarah was giddy, life was good and at the same time, she felt a weight of anxiety rush over her.  "Are you okay Sarah?"   "Uhm, yeah.... yes,  I'm good"  she said trying to sound confident.  Chase shrugged off her uncertainty "you first".   Sarah made her way to the deep end of the pool and strutted onto the diving board.  Sarah pretended she was an Olympic diver, "cannonball!"   Chase laughed as she splashed him and then he jumped in. The temperature of the water was not as warm as he expected.  Surfacing, Sarah gasped for air "It's freezing!"   Sarah and Chase exchanged a glance and Chase heard her thoughts "he is so handsome!"   Chase blushed briefly and splashed Sarah.   "Race ya!"  The two friends swam as fast as they could but Sarah was no match for Chase.  "You Cheater, not fair!"  They laughed for a moment and went to the shallow end.   "My Dad is definitely not coming to the pool.  I bet he has his pajamas on and is watching the news".   Sarah was envious, she too was tired from travelling and although she didn't want her time with Chase to end, she was tired.  Interrupting her thoughts, Sarah looked up to see Chase holding her towel.  She snickered "how did you know?"  They laughed again and headed back to the hotel room.  

       "How was the pool kids?"  Exchanging glances, Chase and Sarah smiled as John was in bed with his pajamas watching the news.  "It was cold, I am going to take a hot shower".  "Good idea, we have to leave early tomorrow morning, so get a good nights sleep".  Heading towards the door, Chase said "good night".  "Sarah don't forget to set your alarm".  "I don't need to she said, I have a Guardian Angel, remember?"   "Good one" said Chase and he left the room.  "See you in the morning" said John.  "Good night Sir." Chase disappeared.  

         The hot shower felt good compared to the frigid temperature of the pool but Sarah didn't care, she got to spend more time with Chase and she felt safe when he was around.  Even when he wasn't standing in front of her, she felt safe.  She relished that feeling.  She knew that Chase would always be there.  She slept with great comfort.  What she didn't know was that Trevor was looming outside the hotel room waiting for the perfect moment to strike down Sarah.