Chapter 7

Chapter 7-Summer Begins

"Yes!" yelled Sarah as she came through the door. Startled, her father jumped back and couldn't help but notice the huge smile on his daughters' face. "Let me guess - school is finished for the year? Summer break starts perhaps?" he said. "You got it dad!" said Sarah as she motioned for Chase to sit down. "Oh yeah! Everyone signed our yearbooks, I cleaned out my locker and I'm good to go!" Sarah and Chase gave each other a high-five and opened up their yearbooks to read what some of their friends had written. John looked over Sarah's shoulder in curiousity. "So", he said "what exactly do your friends write about in there?"

"Well...stuff like: "you're a great friend, cute girl, nice person, have a great summer... that kinds of stuff. But as for Chase - the girls write stuff like: you're cute and hope to see you soon!" Sarah couldn't but help but make a face to Chase. Chase was embarassed and rolled his eyes as he glared at Sarah, daring her not to make fun of him again. She looked down quickly.

John smiled, remembering his own high school friends. "So he said, what are you two up to today?"

The two of them looked at each other. "Uhmm, I don't know? What are we doing today Chase?" asked Sarah. "I have no idea - I guess whatever we want. No homework, no school....the only thing I have to do is visit my mom and then after that, what do you want to do?" Chase asked. "Hum, let me think about it!" Sarah said, liking the fact that she didn't have an answer.

"Oh..." said John, "what is it that your Mother does?"

"She passed away sir", said Chase. "Oh I'm sorry about that, can I ask you what happened?"

"It's okay sir, it happened a very long time ago. She died giving birth to me, so I really never knew her but visiting her is comforting so I do it when I can." Chase "I'm sorry Son, thats difficult. You and Sarah have alot in common that way. Its nice that you two are such good friends!"

Sarah looked intently at her Dad. She wondered how he would feel if he in fact knew he was talking to a real Angel. Sarah knew it made her feel safe and she wanted her Dad to know, but didn't dare exose Chase.

"Chase, do you mind if I come with you to visit your Mom? asked Sarah. "It's okay if you don't want me to."

"Sure Sarah, that'd be great!" said Chase. Chase grabbed his yearbook and his coat and headed for the door.

"So, I guess we're leaving now? Bye daddy!" said Sarah as she gave him a hug.

"See you sweetie. Bye Chase - drive safe!"

"Yes sir! Always!"

Before she knew it, Sarah was at the entrance of a cemetary. The sign was ragged and read: Old Wisonsin Resting Place.

Chase did not wait for Sarah as she stopped to read the sign and observe her surroundings. He was walking quickly and had disappeared behind a very old (and creepy) Oak Tree Sarah found herself walking a little faster as she tried to keep up with Chase. She found him staring at a headstone:

Kim Archer

1860-1882

"loving wife and mother"

Chase stood there as if in a trance. Even though he was very fortunate to have had seen his Mother in Heaven, and had gotten to know her and love her, he felt cheated. Now, standing and staring at her gravesit, knowing her remains are gone, he wished she had survived long enough to have a relationship with him here on earth.

Sarah interrupted his deep thoughts. "Chase, are you okay?"

"Yes, I'm good Sarah, are you ready to leave?"