::1:: Welcome to Heidelberg

Music is Orlais Theme from the Dragon Age: Inquisition OST. Play it!

******

I couldn't decide if I should be terrified or excited at the sight of magic.

Real magic. Not the stingy little vials that came in from the few provinces which still had functioning Fountains. Not the meagre scraps that farmers, merchants and the like had to make do with. This was raw, mind-blowingly powerful magic.

I poked my head out of the carriage window. We'd just rolled past the last of the farming lands, and now the grandeur of Heidelberg sat before me, sprawling across my vision, the very definition of glory itself. No defensive walls were necessary; the magical barrier around the borders of the area protected everyone who sought shelter within it.

I didn't know if said barrier was supposed to be visible to all, but I definitely knew it was there-a ripple in the air, an odd sighing I felt through the soles of my unbalanced feet. Maybe it was my imagination, my craving for magic playing with my mind.

Or maybe it was because we had spent five days passing through desolate landscapes and barren meadows, all depressing signs of what once was. We'd also encountered quite a few monsters along the way. Fortunately, we were blessed with Lord Himmel's magic-he'd cast a protective shield over the carriage before it had left Heidelberg. Thus, Franz, the driver, was able to coax the horses to speed along and escape potential danger. Evidently we came out in one piece, but it still didn't ease off the sensation of having a close brush with death. Even from the safety of the carriage, the sight of the creatures had invoked a primal fear within me. No wonder travelling in between provinces was a rare luxury-assuming you could make it out of the wastelands alive.

I banished the images of demonic hags and hellish creatures out of my mind. We were nearing the barrier. The horses whickered with excitement. Their hooves pounded against the earth, steady drums matching the poundings of my heart.

Ignoring the aching protests of my bad leg, I leaned out of the window. I savoured the taste of the wind on my tongue, letting the fresh air kiss my cheeks and the coolness dance with my dark brown curls.

The barrier approached us, and we approached the barrier. We were nearing Heidelberg.

Then a lightning bolt cracked across my head.

Or at least, that was how it felt like when the carriage had become one with the barrier for a fleeting moment. It was clarity, washing my fears and doubts and sorrow away, peeling off all the masks I had layered upon myself till my core was exposed, as beautiful and as radiant as the sun beating down upon the cobble-stoned paths.

I retracted my head dizzily, a crazy grin splitting my face into two. We were in Heidelberg. Far, far away from Hamelin. From another life.

I focused my attention upon the city. The scent of activity wafted on the tip of my tongue, sending a bright rush through my head. We passed merchants, washerwomen, craftsmen, children and the like. Then lower class folks gave way to nobility, and silks of red and gold and every colour imaginable trailed around the streets. I suddenly felt useless in my best day gown, a deep blue affair which matched my eyes.

There were none of the hearty bellows that echoed about the poorer districts, although more business was dealt with here. Negotiations were hushed; but they were no less intense. I continued to marvel at the city, even sticking my hand out once to catch the trailing ends of a lady's skirt. It felt like running water on my skin. Belatedly, I realised that I was lucky to not have anyone notice my impulsive touch.

Despite the fact that Heidelberg seemed to be overflowing with people, they automatically parted for us, either in respect of the emblem etched onto the carriage's door, or for fear of being trampled on mercilessly. The carriage bounced along happily.