::28:: Lost Relations (Part 1)

Music is Kujikesou ni Naru Watashi wo Sasaete from the Your Lie in April OST. Play it!

Image is Elise. For this chapter, specifically.

******

I couldn't say what happened next. All I knew was that when I finally came back to my senses, I was in my old room. The air smelt slightly of disuse, but everything seemed to be exactly where I'd last left it: the covers of the bed were unfolded, the stool at the vanity table pulled out, and the wardrobe door slightly ajar. It was as though Lord Himmel had specially preserved it in its original state, waiting for me to return, knowing all along that I had no other choice.

Anger suddenly flared in me. He had expected me to come back. He'd known that I wouldn't dare to risk Josef's life in exchange for my safety.

But at any rate, I wasn't going to give up without a fight.

I sat on the bed, sinking into its mustiness. A ghost of a silk dress fluttered at the corner of my eye. Then I noticed Elise standing by the doorway, a perfect sentinel to watch over my every move. I stared at her; she stared back.

"Who are you, exactly?" I asked in a whisper.

Her spine stiffened, and she folded her arms. After a moment's indecision, she closed the door behind her and walked over to sit beside me. I didn't shy away, nor did I shuffle any closer to her.

She didn't reply immediately, opting to fold her hands on her lap and look at them. I didn't urge her for an answer. An air of heaviness clouded her, and her eyes were deep with reminiscing. She almost looked like a child, her head bowed low and her figure so small; while I was the wise and all-knowing Magus.

It was an odd sensation.

"You have Anton's lodestone, don't you?" Her words were so quiet that I nearly missed them.

Automatically, I reached into my pouch and drew the lodestone out. It sat heavily in my hand, the weight of the memories contained within crossing my mind.

Elise lifted one hand and let it hover uncertainly over mine. "May I?" she said.

I nodded. Elise gently took the stone in her fingers. She traced its surface, expression disbelieving yet hopeful. Could it be?—but it was. There was an unmistakable shine in her eyes.

Fat tears began to roll down her cheeks.

Shock rippled throughout me. Seeing Elise cry was like seeing Josef in his tortured state. I could never have imagined it—until I saw it actually happening, of course. My mind went blank; I couldn't find the right words to say. I knew why she was crying though: the stone reminded her of Anton, of my father.

Of her husband.

I decided that it was best if I remained silent. Sure enough, she wrest back control over herself after a few moments. However, it was a few more minutes before she drew in a deep breath and finally said something, "I suppose you know my connection to you."

You're my mother, I thought. The idea didn't settle right in my head. It was...strange. And terrifying. A few months ago, I was alone in the world. Then I'd learned that I once had a father—a past.

And now my own biological mother was here with me. Living, breathing, talking.

It was surreal.

And it was terrifying.

She took my silence as an answer, and her head drooped dejectedly. "I—I suppose you think little of me now. Your father...he is—was a brave man."