::14:: Discussions (Part 1)

Music is Death is Now a Welcome Guest from the Assassin's Creed: Syndicate OST. Play it!

******

My muscles were tense, coiled like an angry cat's. Markus sat across from me, his mahogany desk the only obstacle between us, papers littered all over it. He looked sickeningly happy-excitement rolled off him like waves.

If only I could share half of his enthusiasm. I tried my best to wear a cordial smile, and to look the part of a girl completely infatuated with her fiancé. However, I only wanted to cringe and run away from the monster hidden within the man.

"Yes, Markus?" I said, breaking the silence.

"In a week's time, we shall travel to Starkfurt." The sunlight streaming in from the windows danced across his eyes; they looked like a pair of cold, glimmering crystals. "You, my dear Klaudia, are going to be officially registered as a Magus!"

This was somewhat expected, really. After all, it would make no sense for me to hang around in his castle without the Council having any knowledge of my abilities. Now though, I wondered how Markus ever managed to lure the children away if his Affinity was nullifying. Perhaps a power granted to him by Saint Bromilde? And what about the disappearance of magic? A side effect?

I hoped that I could find the answers to all of those questions soon, because there was still so much I didn't know about Markus.

Still, I managed to put on a mask of elation and said, "Really? Oh, thank you, Markus!"

"It's my responsibility as your senior to help you be the best Magus you can be," he said, "and the very first way to do that is by helping you register as an official Magus. Wouldn't want to house any renegades around here, would we?"

"Certainly not." Elise suddenly crept into my mind—from the way she commanded respect from everyone around here, to her lack of a title. Did she have a falling out with the Council to have her title stripped away? Or was it...something else?

So many questions, so little answers.

"And after that, we'll finally be able to conduct the wedding," he continued. At my startled expression, he chuckled. "You didn't think that I'd forgotten about it, did you?"

"Of course not, Markus."

"To think, we will be man and wife soon." He leaned forwards with a wolfish grin. It almost made him handsome, and if I didn't know the dirty secret that lay beneath his exterior, I'd be very much taken by it. "How does the idea appeal to you, Klaudia?"

"It's an idea I can get used to," I replied, barely keeping the disgust out of my tone. But some of it must have peeked through the cracks in my voice, because Markus frowned slightly.

"You don't seem particularly pleased," he accused.

I drew in a deep breath. Think, Klaudia. Think. "It's just...It's hard to believe that a few months ago I was barely surviving in Hamelin. And now...I have everything I want. It's very surreal."

To my relief, Markus looked like he bought my excuse. "Yes, the transitions can be a little jarring, considering your upbringing, but I hope that it's one which is favourable to you."

"It is." I have to tell Josef about Starkfurt, I decided. Aloud I said, "Thank you for everything, Markus."

He didn't reply. Instead, he stood up and walked over to my side. Placing a hand on my cheek and looming over me, he murmured, "Thank you, Klaudia." Then he kissed me.

I stayed very still while his lips locked onto mine, for fear that the slightest movement would betray my revulsion. Yet I wanted to draw him in, to believe that he had a heart somewhere down there—a heart which had the capacity to care for me. Anger and hurt roared in me. Was this the way he treated Elise? Was this a mere ploy of his to gain the hearts of women? I didn't know. But I didn't push him away; I barely managed to restrain myself to return the kiss.

He broke off first, a faraway smile on his face. He had the air of someone in a happy daze. I remained in my seat, stunned. I opened my mouth, but no words came out.

Fortunately, I didn't have to say anything, as Markus continued, "I'll be off to my duties now, and I imagine that you wouldn't want to be detained any further."

I took it as my cue to be dismissed. I rose from my seat and curtsied. Markus, in return, bowed towards me. "Thank you for your time, Markus."

"The pleasure is mine." He flashed his teeth, and I was suddenly frightened. They looked so bright and white and sharp, as though they were meant to devour me whole. I quickly fled the office.

Only when I had walked a considerable distance away did I begin to slow down and feel the aftereffects of placing too much stress on my bad leg. Tears pricked at the corners of my eyes, both from the pain and from the turmoil churning inside me. I leaned against the wall for support, praying to the high heavens that no one would see me in this utterly wrecked state. The empty, starless night outside seemed to reflect my inner self.

I had trusted Markus. I still wanted to trust him; I still clung onto the hope that there may be some humanity left in him. I was a fool, yet I would continue being a fool if it meant that I didn't give up on my hopes. No wonder I was adapting so badly to court life here: I still had sympathy and empathy, two traits that were unwelcome in this world.

Rage boiled in me: for myself and for everyone. For myself, because I was too weak to do anything. For everyone, because they allowed me to be caught up in this mess. It was a fearful life back in Hamelin, but at least I didn't have to be wary at every passing second.

"Milady, are you all right?"

I hastily scrubbed my fingers over my eyes and looked up to see Josef, lips pursed in worry. I supposed that I must be quite a sight to him: my curls were escaping from the knot at the nape of my neck, my skirts were rumpled and my nose and cheeks were blotchy with redness. "I'm not sure." No use denying that I was not all right. At any rate, I was slightly more comforted by the fact that it was Josef who had found me, and not Elise. I wasn't sure what I would do to her at this point. Scream, kick, yell, maybe? Demand the truth from her, on whose side she was truly on?

Yes, it was far better that it was Josef I'd run into.

"What happened?" he asked.

I took in a deep breath, calming my racing thoughts. "Nothing. It's just"—another shuddering breath here—"Nothing," I said firmly.

He raised quizzical brows at me. I stood my ground, ready to insist on my point if necessary.

Instead, to my surprise, he gestured towards my pouch. "I imagine that the runes on your flute are a bit worn out. Can't have any spells suddenly going wrong in the middle of casting them," he said. "Come to the workroom. I'll refine them for you."

"What? But I don't need—" Then I caught the gleam in his eyes. "Oh, of course," I caught myself, feeling stupid all of the sudden. "Lead the way."

He nodded and walked off, beckoning me to follow him. I did.

******

A/N: I know, I know, short part. But I swear that these chapters are getting ridiculously long, and to adapt to the Wattpad audience, I have to split them up. But hey, that means more updates! Anyway, so Markus aka Lord Himmel aka the Pied Piper is going to take Klaudia to Starkfurt. Weee more evilness coming your way folks! I've got lots of cookies in store for anyone who needs them. Just in case.

Dedicated to RedMirror560, one of the readers who 'transferred' from Constantine to this story. Thank you so much for reading! And not supporting infidelity!