::32:: Strength During Trials (Part 2)

Music is I Name Thee Dea and Embrace Thee from The Witcher 3 OST. Play it!

******

We travelled along the route for another week before stopping by a little village to replenish whatever we needed. Even then, we didn't need much, since these sorcerers could conjure almost anything in the blink of an eye. So we didn't take too long there, only staying for one night at a dingy local inn. When we left the next dawn, I'd suddenly realised that I didn't even know the village's name.

The landscape looked similar to my eyes, all snowy ground and bare trees. The sorcerers would clear a path for us up front by melting deep snow, and we trudged along safely without any sleds. Although winter kept most of the monsters at bay, it didn't diminish the churning feeling in my stomach. We were drawing closer to Erstürnach, and with it, Hamelin.

Hamelin. The place was almost as alien as Heidelberg was nearly a year ago. A year. Had it really been that long since I'd last seen Papa Gunter? I wondered if he still had his brown hair, streaked with grey. I wondered if he still took pride in his wonderful woodwork. I wondered if he was still so patient and kind and loving.

Now that I thought about it, the more resemblance I could see between him and Josef. I'd never considered it until the secret unravelled itself, as it was near impossible to associate my old home with the splendour of a stronghold. The idea that anyone from such a desolate place might be associated with someone in a city was ridiculous.

Not anymore, it seemed.

The air was slightly milder than usual today, missing its stinging bite. Still, my cheeks were flushed red from the cold, and my fingers were bitterly frigid. Lord Himmel hadn't bothered to grant me a change of clothes, and so I was stuck with the same attire he'd given me when we left. The overcoat was thick, and the boots warm, but they weren't sturdy enough to brave more horrendous weather.

I swayed dangerously on the back of the mare, exhaustion piling on my head. Lord Himmel barely allowed me out of his sight when I needed to use the privy, and he'd ordered a female sorcerer to stand guard over me. He would always force me to sleep on the most uncomfortable spots in the tent. Which equalled to a sore back and sleepless nights. And that wasn't counting the aches I obtained via the riding.

"Hamelin scouted ahead, milord," reported Kaiser suddenly. I jerked awake. He was riding right beside us, his moustache looking stiffer than ever in the cold.

Lord Himmel nodded in response. "Very good. Tell the sorcerers to hasten their speed, Kaiser. We'll try to make it there before evening."

"Yes, milord."

Kaiser quickly rode away, bellowing new orders to his sorcerers. He seemed enthusiastic, and so did Lord Himmel. Unfortunately, the same couldn't be said for me. What nature of business did Lord Himmel have in Hamelin? Surely he wasn't just planning to stop by for the night.

Again, the chills ran down my spine. As if the weather wasn't enough.

It took a few more hours of steady riding before the outline of the town was in the distance. My stomach churned. I didn't know if it was in excitement or in fear. The atmosphere around me grew lighter, more carefree. Evidently they were eager to get off the road for a while.

Then it grew closer, closer, closer. It felt so wrong. I didn't want to follow Lord Himmel like I was supposed to. I wanted to scream and throw myself off the horse. Maybe I would snap my neck and die, and that would be the end of my worries. I wouldn't have to endure this nightmare for another moment longer.

But I clung onto thoughts of Elise and of Josef. They expected me to stay strong. Too much was at stake here.

I couldn't let them down.