StoneRidge for Girls

As I walked up the beautiful, tan cobblestone to my new school, hung high and beating in the sky. The different dorms loomed over me to the right. The barns (a,b,c,d) stood bright silver and purple in all their glory. I gulped. What do I have to be nervous about?
  Oh, right. A huge scholarship for a pre-ivy school was handed to me, and I'll probably be expelled in my first five minutes.

  I pushed open the heavy mahagony door to a spacious efficient office with student-aids rushing around.

I approach the desk, heart beating heavily.
  "Hi, can I help you?"
  "Yes, I need to see the counselor for my schedule?"
  "Oh, sure. Just take a seat and I'll see if she is in there."
   I did as told and waited. When she returned, she grinned.
  "Last door on the left. Good luck."

   I picked up my purse and rolled my luggage. I was scared to death. Why had she wished me luck? Was the woman/man an ax murderer or something. Maybe, I made a wrong turn and went to an insane asylum. (Sorry, isn't that were really crazy bad people go??)

    I knocked on the door.
     "Come in!"
    I pulled open the door, slowly as I took in what her office is like. 

        "Hello. Calli, isn't it?"

        "Um, yes mam."

           "Why don't you take a seat and we'll get started. All right?" 

           "Alright. I have you down for English, Math, Science, and Social Studies. You will need a morning elective. I also have you for cross-country, dressage, and stadium jumping."

       "That sounds good, so far."
   "Alright. You need 1 elective and a activity. We have... film, health, dance, cooking, gardening, swimming,...."
   She probably listed a million others, but Calli stopped listening.
     She thought about how hard classes were rumored to be and whether she would test well.
   "Calli? Calli?"
     "Huh?" she started. Jolted out of her revelry.
      "Which 2 electives would you like?"
     "O-oh. Film and cooking please?"
    "Well..." She snapped a few keys on her board.
    The printer whirred and snapped.
      Tick-Tick-Tick-Tick.
    She picked up the sheets from the printer, and stapled them together, then paged through another folder.
   "Alright. Here is your key to your room and you're in Orchird Hall. I have you for Math, then science, then English, History. Stadium Jumping, Cross-Country and Dressage. Film class meets every Tuesday and Thursday in the Stone Town Plaza. Cooking meets every Wednesday and Friday in the cafeteria. I should explain now that science isn't really science. It's actually biology, but they make us put science. Your horse is located in Barn B and Mr. Groffman has put you down as testing on Monday at 4:30."

       "They chose my horse for me?"

       "Yes, and if you have any more questions, come see me or your dorm monitor. Go back out to the front desk and ask for Ramirez. Rachel will direct you towards your dorm and off you go."

    "Thank you, mam."

   "Have a good time here at Stoneridge, Calli."

  "Thank you."

   I made my way out the door. I went towards the front desk, and said, "Ramirez?"

   "Rachel! We've got another sevvie!"

     "Ok, alright! I'm coming."

         We headed out the door, headed towards a huge cluster of dorms. They each had huge signs hanging over the doors. I glanced at the barns I could see and could tell they were freshly painted.

       "Did they go all out or what?" Rachel looked at me, grinning.

       "Probably."

       "Not really. Most of these students (the new sevvies) are coming from the elementary school or our summer riding program. Don't worry. Most of them are nice. Some of them just take this school a bit too seriously." 

          "Oh. Don't worry. I know exactly what you mean."

        "Good. Well, here we are. It was nice talking to you, Calli."

      "You, too." I wheeled my bags up the stairs. Bump-bump-bump. I walked in the door and was greeted by someone with frizzy blonde hair.

         "Hi. I'm Rossandra. Your dorm monitor in Orchid. Did you know that Orchid was named after tha famous race horse? Pretty crazy, right?"

    "Sure...."

   "Comeon in my office, and then I'll let you go right on up to your room. We need to sign you in, so we can make sure you go to orientation in Orchid common room."

    "Nice paperclips!"

    "Don't touch those it took me forever to arrange them by color and by size."

  Well, my dorm monitor is a paperclip freak. I tried not to laugh.
    "Go ahead and head on up to your room."
    "Thanks. Bye, Rossendra."
    "Bye."

   I walked up the stairs and saw other open doors.