Ch. 4

She had just finished Star's stall and was putting him inside when a voice came over the PA system.

"All students are to report to the dressage arena in 15 minutes."

Everyone was slowly trickling out of the barn as she filled up Star's water bucket and food bucket.

She stopped patted Star's nose and walked out of the barn, grabbing her jacket as she went past. Try-outs had been 3 days ago and she really wanted to make the team. She kept dropping the flag in Flag team tryouts and knocked down 3 poles for the elite team. She zipped up her jacket as she got colder. It was barely light outside and the dressage arena lights were on.

Everyone filed in and she took a seat in the back top corner. All in all, there was about 85 first years, 45 2nd, and 60 3rd years. A total of around 190 students. Not alot but they gained more each year. More and more girls filed in and 2 teachers took their places at each end of the arena. A mic system had been set up in the center. Finally -after what seemed like hours- the principal approached the mic.

 "Students. Girls. Please."

   We all fell silent. She raised her hand and opened her mouth to speak then closed it again.

   Someone started blasting Work Of Art by Demi Lovato. She sighed visibly.

   "Students. We have the choices for our teams."

   Everyone started cheering. Some even whistled. How I could stand it was just clapping. The music shut off and the clapping died out.

 "First, our spirit team who is in charge of dances and shows."

   She rambled off a bunch of names of people Calli didn't know. Pretty soon the stadium became drowned in whoops and cheers.

  "Our flag team is Ryan Meyers. Sarah Rhodes." She started rambling a bunch of names and when she heard her friends name she cheered loud as she could.

  "Now," The prinicipal opened a small white envelope," You all know our elite riding team consists of 6 members who are expected to give it their best and recieve an all A average. If a grade falls to a B or below they will be given two weeks to make up for it. Once those two weeks are up, the student membership on the team will be revoked. These six will meet in the jumping arena after the meeting."

  There was a sound of light breathing and an envelope being opened.

   "Allyson Breyer."

" Sarah Taico." 

" Falenn Angelino."

" Jessica Champlain."

"Lydia Ryce."

" Calli Rhodes."

       These were the Elite. The best of the best. And my name was on that list. I froze in shock as many congratulated me and cheered on the Elite. A slow smile spread over my face. My lips trembled as I smiled.

     "You are all dismissed. Resume your activities." They dismissed us by row and since I was at the top I was one of the last people. I made my way towards the arena at a jog. I ducked my head as I passed that girl who made the remark in CC class about me getting a stallion. I walked through the open fence and took a seat in one of the 3 open seats left. A few minutes later everyone was in the arena. I felt weird I was the only first year here. I pulled out my phone which I had stuffed in my pocket and checked my messages. I silenced it and tucked it back in my pocket. A young women who appeared to be in her early 30's sat in the front chair.

  "Ladies," she nodded at us.

  "Hello." We echoed.

  "Let's get started shall we?"

  She took out a stack of papers and passed a few around.

  "This is the rules and procedures. Go over them quietly and we will discuss them soon."

     I scanned the list.

               Elite StoneRidge Compettition Team

   Rule 1Never be late.

Rule 2. Horse and rider must come groomed and clean.

 Rule 3. Students must maintain an all A average.

 Rule 4. Students will behave in an orderly conduct.

Rule 5. Students will attend all practices unless otherwise excused.

Rule 6. Students will follow each rule with precision. Failure to do so could mean revoktion of memebership.

                I put the paper on my lap.

  "Any questions?" she asked after everyone had finished going over the rules.

  Let's discuss them. Rule 1 stated clearly that you are to be in this arena at 8:30 sharp saturday morning. If you are late, we will start off with 20 minutes session of ground-work. Understood?"

  One girl raised her hand. "What if we are sick or had to leave due to a family incident?"

  "That is something that is better addressed in Rule 5 more ms. ?"

  "Ms. Lydia."

  "Rule 2 clearly states you must be clean and your horse must shine. I will not take dirty horses on my team. If your horse is not clean, we will spend the rest of practice bathing our horses and tack. Understood?"

 We all nodded.

  "Rule 3 makes it crystal clear that falling behind in your studies is NOT allowed. An A average is expected. Failure to do so will be no practice until you bring up that low grade to an A which is a two week period."

I swallowed. Let's hope math doesn't give me any trouble. Or science. Science was definitley not my strong suit. 

"Rule 4 is making a point that if you rebel in ANY way girls is that you are off the Elite, For good."

  I took a shaky breath. This teacher was scaring me with the way she was talking.

"Rule 5 as addressed earlier says you are to be at practice unless otherwise excused from a family issue."

  She then took out a small schedule for the month of September and passed those around.

   It said on each saturday there was to be practice from 7:30 am to 11:30 am. On one day in september- a school day- was a show that said Canter Ridge Show at 8:00 am.

   " You are to be up with horse and rider ready each show morning at 4:30 am for the show in September. You should bring a bag with a refill-able water bottle, your grooming kit, and a book or electrical device. It is mostly a two-hour drive from here to the nearest gas station or super store and about another hour to the Ridge show. Now let's give it our all girls!"

 With a wave of her hand we were dismissed. As I left I came to the realization of one thing.

   I was ready. I was going to do good and I wasn't going to let anyone or thing stop me and Star from giving StoneRidge our best performance yet.

 _____------______------________-------____-So there it is. Hope you liked it! Vote, Comment, and Fan!

  -Horsepassion