Chapter Five

*Adam's POV*

A couple days ago I got a call from a very special person that I had thought, sadly, I would never get the chance to see again—David Lovelace. I had a hope in the back of my mind that he would use the number that I left at Thomas Kingston's so that he could, with my full permission, contact me whenever he would like to whenever he was allowed. I have to admit, there was a feeling in the back of my mind that he would never even give it a thought. But when that unknown number popped up on my phone's screen, and when I answered it and found out who was talking, my heart skipped a beat and I jumped in place.

What made it even better, and what made my reaction even stronger, was that the fact that he said he had got out of TK's, moved in with his aunt, and was going to attend a normal high school again. After talking for a while about how he was doing and how he was feeling, I asked him where his aunt lived.

When he told me, I had to force myself to stop smiling so wide because it prevented me from speaking—I had instantly suggested that he make sure he went to my school, since it was, technically, in the vicinity where people could go there, as long as he didn't take the bus (and even though he wasn't cleared to drive yet, he asked his aunt while I was on the phone with him if she could drive him to school, and she agreed).

Then, after composing myself some more, I went on to tell him about the classes there and to make sure he requested to be in my classes. We chatted some more about that, and I was really, really happy to hear him in his sarcastic but good mood that was his natural personality showing.

It was making my heart warm as opposed to the chill it was froze over with from about a week ago when me and Tommy got into the public fight. During school, we had passed each other with nothing more, nothing less than a "Hi" or "What's up" and a response. It was enough of a communication to allow us to be next to each other without blowing a gasket.

I shove my homework into my book bag, throw on my light jacket (Tommy still has my sweatshirt, which I wonder if he still wears when I'm not around...) and give my mom a kiss on the cheek before I catch the bus.

I listen to my iPod, trying to avoid the songs that Tommy and I would sing and dance to, which was very hard on shuffle. After a song had played and faded away, and I skip a song that I'm not in the mood for, and I freeze as the new one comes on. It's one of the songs on the playlist that Tommy and I had playing in the background during our night of lovemaking, and I specifically recall hearing this song because it fit so perfectly. I can't really stop myself from listening to it, and I can't help but remember.

There was so much love then. It really hurts to know that it's not here at the moment. The bus stops and I have to hurriedly wipe the corner of my eyes as Rose hops up the steps and throws herself down next to me. Her good-morning smile disappears and she asks "What's wrong?" It only takes a moment to collect myself and I try to smile, taking out my headphones and wrapping the cords around my iPod.

"I'm fine," I say, only looking at her for a few seconds.

"Yeah, okay," she rolls her eyes, unconvinced but not wanting to say anymore. I sigh heavily, leaning my head against the window.

"I'm fine," I repeat more sternly. She puts a hand on my shoulder and says okay. We don't talk for the rest of the ride.

When we get to school, I'm instantly looking for David and Rose is following me like I'm crazy, asking me what the hell I'm doing.

"Looking for someone," I say, checking the tops of people's head for his dark short-ish hair. I walk over to the drop off area and see him. I start running to him and before he can even get his goodbye to his aunt in I'm hugging him from the side. He jumps and gaps in shock and I just laugh.