Chapter 2

I knew better than to let the words written on my desk get to me, but it was taking more and more everyday for it not to.

I was snapped out of my thoughts by my second period teacher's voice booming throughout the classroom.

"Class listen up!"

I took one earbud out and gave her my attention like the rest of the class.

"We have a new student today, and her name is E...El...Ellen Morrain, yes Ellen Morrain." She said, seeming to have problem with pronouncing the girl's name. "Now, Ellen has a record so I just want you guys to know she may be a more aggressive student, please do not try to provoke her negatively in any way. Thank you." She said before turning back to her desk and taking a seat.

The way she spoke of Ellen made me think of how someone would speak of an animal. I mean come on, really?

Moments later, a woman entered with a brown haired girl following closely behind her.

"Hi, you must be Ellen, I'm your second period teacher, Mrs. Touren." She introduced herself getting up from her desk to shake the girl's hand.

The girl didn't move to shake her hand. "It's Elan, not Ellen." She corrected calmly.

The woman who had walked in with the girl was gone already, and Mrs. Touren was visibly unsure of what to do without her help. Almost as if she was already intimidated by this girl that hasn't even been in the room for two minutes.

"My apologies Elle- uh Elan, take a seat anywhere you'd like."

The girl didn't say anything and looked around the room. Making sure to make eye contact with every single one of us.

Then her dark, coffee brown eyes fell upon my light blue ones. It was as if the wind had been knocked out of me.

Please don't do it.

Her eyebrows furrowed for a split second and she looked at the empty seat next to me.

"Go on." The teacher urged her, looking a bit impatient.

She blatantly ignored the woman's comment.

The girl started towards my desk, and you could almost hear everyone–including me–suck in a sharp breath. Her attention was still zeroed in on me. She wasn't going to not sit by me, that was obvious.

They knew what she was doing, and they didn't like it one bit.

She can't sit by me.

Whispers were already filling the room.

In a lightning quick moment, a hand shot out and clasped onto her arm.

"You shouldn't do th-" The boy hastily attempted to warn her.

Her head snapped towards the source of the sudden contact. The moment her eyes left mine, it felt as if a weight had been lifted off of my chest. "Let go of my arm." She commanded, her voice serious and unshaken. The sound of her words made my hands grow cold and my breathing shallow.

You could practically hear the boys heartbeat skyrocket through the roof. He removed his hand from her body and his face drained of color.

I think he pissed his pants.

She continued to the back of the room, where she proceeded to sit in the chair next to me and cross her arms over the table nonchalantly.

Why she sat by me was completely out of my knowledge. I bet even she didn't know why she sat by me.

"Hi." I mumbled, barely finding the strength to keep still under her gaze.

She flashed a lazy smile at me, causing my heart to sink deep into my stomach.

"Hi."

Her voice was softer when she spoke.

Suddenly I became all too aware of their eyes on me, and they were burning my skin.

Elan has no idea what she just did.

Absolutely no idea.