Chapter 9

We made it to the high school in record time since I was practically speeding and I quickly got our tickets before entering the stadium. There were more people than I expected to be at a varsity high school soccer game. I had to search for the curly haired boy and red haired girl that Elan described to me earlier in the car and Dennise followed me to the seats that they saved.

"Who are they?" Dennise whispered into my ear as we approached the pair.

"Elan's friends." I answered.

She gave a small chuckle from beside me and threw an arm over my shoulder. "Of course."

I shrugged her arm off, ignoring her comment before greeting the boy and girl.

"Mason and Clara?" I asked, confirming their identities.

The boy nodded and held his hand out to me to shake. "Yeah and you're Savannah, I've seen you around."

Clara greeted Dennise first, since it was obvious that she was with me. "And you are?" She asked.

"Dennise. I'm Savannah's older sister." She told them, flashing a small smile.

"Oh I remember you from last year, you did yearbook." Clara said, returning the smile.

Mason gestured to the empty seats beside them. "We got the best ones in the house. We couldn't really get on the field, so these were the next best thing."

I let out a small laugh and took my seat, Dennise sitting next to me. We took our time talking to each other and I realized after only five minutes why Elan was friends with them. Mason was hilarious and Clara was the physical embodiment of excitement, she was always talking or laughing at something. They matched so well it was unbelievable.

Clara was in the middle of her story about the time her and Henry, her older brother, almost got arrested when Mason told us that the introductions were starting. I almost forgot the fact that there was a soccer game going on.

"There she is, number seventeen, but I'm sure you knew that." Clara said, pointing at Elan out on the field as she warmed up.

They all stood in a line as they were preparing to be called by name. Elan was the first to be called and I watched as she jogged into position for the national anthem. I noticed her scan the crowd for us and when she spotted us in the front row she gave a slight wave. We all waved back excitedly and she turned back to talk to the second girl introduced.

Dennise nudged my leg when she noticed that I kept my eyes on Elan even after she was introduced.

"You're going to burn a hole into her back with that stare Savannah." She said before letting out a small laugh.

I rolled my eyes at her. When did she start teasing me about this stuff?

Mason and Clara turned their attention towards me. "So, how'd you and Elan start talking?" Mason asked.

"Oh uh, she sat next to me on her first day and I showed her around. We just started talking after that." I explained simply. "What about you guys?"

Mason was the first to answer. "I was the ball boy at soccer tryouts. She was so good that I had to talk to her and we hit it off immediately."