Chapter 8

I was terrified.

I tried to ignore it, but how could I ignore the fact that Devon hasn't spoken a word to me ever since that week on the track? Elan has avoided speaking about it and I refused to go into it until she did, but that was getting us nowhere. It was becoming too overwhelming.

I needed to distance myself from her somehow and I think I had just the idea. We were getting too comfortable. How long could we keep this up?

"Elan, I have something to tell you."

She perked an eyebrow up at the suddenness of my words and put her journal to the side, crossing her arms over the table before looking at me.

"So, uh... there's someone that likes you, and I think that you should give them a shot."

Elan nodded and tapped her fingers against the desk slowly. "And who might this be?" She whispered teasingly, resting her chin in the palm of her hand.

"His name's Dean, he seems really nice and I think that-"

"You can not be serious Savannah." She cut me off before rolling her eyes at me.

I furrowed my eyebrows at her response and hesitated to respond. "What do you mean?" I asked reluctantly.

She shook her head and leaned back in her chair. "I-I'm not interested. You just tell him that." She mumbled.

"Oh, okay." I said.

Elan let out a light sigh before going back to writing in her journal. That didn't go as planned. But at least I got ten dollars out of it.

We didn't speak for the rest of period and when the bell rang for last period we didn't even say goodbye. I guess I should've let him keep the ten bucks huh?

I was considering texting her that I was sorry and was reaching for my phone when someone stepped in front of me, stopping me in my tracks.

"So did you do it?"

It was Morgan, the boy that I spoke to earlier today.

I nodded quickly and moved to get around him but he grabbed my arm before I could leave.

"Umm hello, what'd she say?" He pressed.

"She uh, she said that she'd be willing to talk to him." I lied, pulling at the strings of my backpack.

His face lit up and he pulled me in for an unwanted hug. "Oh my god! Yes! He totally owes me one now." He exclaimed, pumping his fist into the air.

What have I done?

He asked for Elan's number so that his friend could talk to her and I gave it to him because I was just overflowing with smart decisions lately.

After the exchange we went our separate ways. I spotted my sister Dennise talking to her friends down the hallway and I rolled my eyes at her when she locked eyes with me. She returned the action before turning back to her group of robot followers. I was definitely thinking about stealing her keys and stranding her here at school.

When the bell rang I was already waiting by the car so that Dennise couldn't leave me behind. She seemed upset that I did that.