Chapter 16

Elan turned out the lights after we both got situated in bed. Well, more so me on the floor and her in her own bed. A few moments passed as I stared blankly into the darkness at what could only be the ceiling and let out a deep breath.

I wasn't the least bit tired. There was too much on my mind.

Sure Dennise knew where I was, but I could only imagine what she told our parents when I didn't come home. I was tempted to leave.

So many "what if's" were running through my mind.

What if this doesn't work? What if my parents manage to find me? What if I screw this up? What if I can't-

"Savannah, what are you thinking about?"

The sudden sound of Elan's voice snapped me out of my nagging thoughts, and I couldn't have been more thankful for the distraction.

"I thought you were asleep." I told her, a small smile playing at my lips.

"How can I sleep when I know you're still awake drowning yourself in your own thoughts?" She answered gently, her voice alone managing to make my heartbeat go through the roof. I then heard her shifting in her bed before I saw her leaning over the edge to look at me.

"Come sleep with me."

I don't think Elan could see the look on my face after she said those words, but I'm thankful for that.

"O-okay. Are you sure?" I asked hesitantly.

Hearing her laugh gave me butterflies in my stomach.

"Yes, I'm sure."

So I did as she said. Elan made space on the bed for me to lie and I slid under the covers beside her. I couldn't tell where she was which tempted me to reach my hand out to find her but I ultimately thought against it.

"So...what's got you thinking so hard?" She asked, concern clear in her voice.

I let out a deep breath and shrugged before realizing she couldn't see me that well. "I don't know, there's so much going on right now."

"Yeah. It's definitely a lot of change in such a little amount of time." Elan agreed.

I could feel her shift under the cover but I didn't know what she was doing until she was right beside me with her shoulder brushing against my own. My breath hitched in my throat and I closed my eyes to focus on getting my heart-rate back under control. The sudden contact was enough to make my nerves go all over the place.

"Do you want to talk about it?" She asked, moving to lie on her side and look at me.

It prompted me to do the same.

I could barely make out her form with the little moonlight slipping through the curtains serving as a light source, but her gaze was locked onto mine. Her brown eyes were darkened now and I found it impossible to look away. Elan somehow managed to do that to me more often than I'd like, and I hated it. She made it really hard to focus.

"Yes." I answered, a question coming to mind that I wanted to ask her.

"I-I've been thinking about what happened earlier today. You know...when I talked to your mom." I started. Elan looked at me intently and nodded to encourage me to continue. "She told me that you talk about me to them a lot. I-I didn't expect to hear that."