Chapter 13

ELAN POV

"What happened?" I asked, feeling my heart pounding against my chest.

"I'm sorry," was her response.

What was she sorry for? Who did that to her? Was Devon involved? That little fucker. I swear if it's him I- Wait, did this happen yesterday when she came over?

No, it couldn't have.

Shit.

What the hell is going on?

Stay calm, Elan. Relax and figure this shit out.

Don't do anything yet.

"Why are you sorry?" I whispered, always finding it hard to have any volume with Savannah. It was as if speaking too loud would hurt her, and I definitely didn't want to do that.

She was avoiding my gaze.

"Come on Vana, look at me." I said softly, feeling a bit impatient.

I needed to know why she had bruising marks on her skin. They didn't belong there.

Was that why she didn't want me to walk her to her next class? Was she in pain and I completely missed the sign?

Her piercing blue eyes drifted back up onto my own and her bottom lip began to quiver. She was fighting back a tsunami of tears. I couldn't bear to see her cry so I took her soft hands into my own and squeezed them gently. If it gave her the courage to talk to me then I'd hold her hands all day.

"I don't-" she started but then cut herself off.

My eyebrows knitted together in confusion when she suddenly pulled her hands out of mine and backed away into the wall to put distance between us. It was as if I shocked her somehow. Did I do something wrong?

What's happening? What happened?

She reached for her jeans and pulled them over her legs. I hadn't been focused on her lack of pants, but rather on the fact that someone caused her harm. Was she uncomfortable?

So many questions were begging to be answered.

I had to be patient or else we wouldn't get anywhere. If she needed help I wasn't going to hesitate on getting her just that.

She quickly grabbed her bag and slung it over her shoulder. "I'm fine." She said. Her tone told me an entirely different story.

It's not what I wanted to hear.

"Savannah, please talk to me. Don't shut me out." I pleaded, panicking slightly at the idea of her leaving only to get hurt again.

Something foreign flashed in her eyes, and it threw me off.

What was she feeling?

"Please?" My voice cracked when I said it, but I wasn't going to allow myself to break down. I was stronger than that.

She bit her lip and tugged on her backpack string as she contemplated something going on inside of that mystery of a mind she has. I was getting desperate.

"Elan, after school we'll talk. Right now I can't go out there."

Damn, that's a long time for us not to discuss this.