Chapter 6

The track... where all the mischief goes on and adults don't give two shits about it.

I've never been one to enjoy the track.

"Hey."

Elan. Of course.

Not that I was annoyed by her company. I mean, I wasn't really sure about what I felt around her anymore. Today was just a rollercoaster of emotions to be honest.

"Hi."

"Devon's an asshole." She blurted out after moments of dead air between us.

I nodded, "yeah."

"I'm not that mean, just letting you know. I know the administration and shit made it seem like I was some monster just cause I have some minor temper issues." She clarified, kicking a loose rock as we made our way around the corner.

"I know." I mumbled, keeping my eyes trained on the object she was moving with her foot.

"And I know you're gay or whatever Savannah. I'm just letting you know that I don't give a shit about that alright? If that's what's holding you back from talking to me then take this as your invitation. Screw all those assholes that call you names and fuck with you just for the hell of it, you're just as worthy as everyone else. I want you to know that."

Silence.

I didn't know what to think.

"Oh."

My heart nearly melted when I saw a smile form on her face, a faint dimple present. "That take a weight off your shoulders?"

I nodded slowly. "Thanks."

She nudged my side gently, "Anytime."

"I-I thought you hated me."

Elan let out a light chuckle that sounded as sweet as honey ringing throughout my ears. "Where'd you get that from?"

I shrugged, laughing at it now that I realized it did seem irrational. "Because everyone else hates me."

"Eveything I did made it seem like I hated you?"

Shaking my head I sighed. "No. I just wanted to believe you hated me."

Elan reached a hand to my ear and tugged on it softly, her touch lingering. Just the simple action made me shiver. "Funny. Our minds can do that to us sometimes." Her words were almost at a whisper.

I couldn't help but agree.

Our no longer strained silence was interrupted by the sounds of footsteps running towards us. Elan perked an eyebrow at the noise and we both turned to see Devon and his buddies running to catch up to us.

I wanted to cower and hide from them, but the way Elan brushed a hand over my arm to comfort me kept me grounded.

"Elan, are you friends with this thing?" One of the boys asked her as they approached.

She didn't say anything and we kept walking until Devon spoke, "Are you a lesbo too?" The boys started to laugh maniacally, "Who would've thought?"

Elan paused mid step and turned to face the group. They stopped laughing.

"Devon. Do you really want to play this game?" She sighed and shook her head. "You know your sister wouldn't be so proud of your behavior towards us, especially me." Elan told him, catching the attention of the students walking around us.

Devon seemed taken a back at her brazenness, "What are you talking about?"

"Your sister. You know, Sylvia. Tall, dark hair, green eyes, nice smile, she's a great baker-"

This appeared to hit Devon in a sensitive spot. "Don't talk about her! She's not my sister."

Elan cocked her head to the side at this. "Oh really? I remember you used to be so proud of being able to call her that." She taunted, causing him to clench his fist at his sides.

"Dude. Who's Sylvia?" One of his friends asked, confused.

He glared at him with such poison it caused the boy to wince, "Stay out of it."

"She moved away a few years ago with her partner. Leaving him alone with his father." She revealed, crossing her arms over her chest.

Devon scoffed, "You don't know anything Elan."

She smiled at him, "I think I know enough. If you want to continue this talk in private we can do so."

His face turned beet red and he huffed in defeat and turned to continue walking the track.

"What the hell was that?"

She waved it off before wrapping her pinky around my own and beginning to walk again. I felt my own face heat up at the sudden contact.

"I'll tell you later."