"First Date"?

*Micah*

"At least your parents aren't here this time," I grumbled.

"Still doesn't count," he said offhandedly. He was much happier with a small ton of frozen cream in hand.

I was beginning to think he didn't want to go on a real date with me. You'd think it too if your fiancé kept finding reasons to declare you weren't on a real date.

"So what's so special about this park, as opposed to any other park?"Gabriel hummed, licking his spoon in a way that made every nerve ending in my body stand on edge. He was so sweet and innocent, though my own thoughts were reacting pervertedly to his cuteness. Good God, Micah! He's a fucking puppy, does your depravity know no bounds?!

"It's old, new playgrounds are made so it's impossible for anyone over the age of eight to play. This place is so old it not only has pull-up bars, big swings, and one of those spinning thingies, it has a ten foot high monster tire pyramid/tower thing! It's awesome!"

I smiled, it was nice basking in his enthusiasm, and not just because he'd forgotten he was mad at me for a moment.

"Sometimes I wish we could play that way." I frowned, following his gaze to the children running around with blankets for superhero cloaks, playing make believe. I wasn't sure how to take that. Was he jealous of their energy? Maybe he was jealous of their freedom, they could dress up in public and no one would find it the least bit strange. What am i thinking about? He asked for our 'first date' to be at a playground, yes playground, NOT an amusement park, a child's fantasy.

Ok. Yes. There were plenty of things I myself liked to do that required keeping a chibi little companion if I wanted to avoid being thrown into a nut bin. But, we had a handful of those at home, if he had some hidden urge to dress up and play pirates or something.

"So, what kind of things do you like to do at a place like this."

He thought for a moment, of course, licking at his ice cream in that very distracting way of his.

"Well, swings are always nice; no matter how old you get...But, I mean...Think about it. Didn't you love playgrounds when you were a kid. Just because you're older now doesn't mean you can't still like the same things. But for some reason you're no longer allowed to. Instead, I somehow have to funnel my energy into boring games like basketball or football, when all I really want to do is pick up a stick and have a sword fight!"

I wouldn't laugh. He was beyond adorable. But... I. Would. Not. Laugh.

"Don't laugh at me!"

"I wasn't!"

"I saw that smile!"

"You're cute! I couldn't help it!"

Oh my God! Did I just say that?

There was silence as I avoided looking at him.

"You think I'm cute?"

Oh, Baby, you don't want to know what I think.

.

.

.

"Sword fight!"

I dove, purposefully coming back up with a willow branch.

"En garde!" I brandished it at him, and we both laughed as it wilted towards the ground.

We had fun whacking at each other for a good ten minutes or so before our feuding factions came to an accord upon the roundabout, both jumping ship before we got sick. We found ourself on the swings for a brake, panting like overweight slobs after our little workout.

I glanced over at Gabriel, enjoying the way his skin glistened, not quite sweating, but warm and glowing. I grimaced thinking of the little stains that were more than likely under each of my armpits. Genetics hadn't been quite so delicate with me.

It figures. I'd been raising kids for nearly three years, I get engaged and suddenly I was regressing. It was nice. Really enjoying being a kid. I don't really remember playing that way with my friends when I was little, and I always had to be so very careful with my siblings. But Gabriel, as delicate as he was, I didn't have to worry so much about. I could tackle him to the ground to disarm him without worrying about tears or bruises. Hell, I got tackled to the ground a time or two. Gabriel was surprisingly adept at an impromptu headlock.

A little girl came up, biting her lip and looking for and empty swing. I sighed and got off my lazy ass to do the right thing. I gave her my swing, and she promptly hoped on and and nearly kicked me in the face, the ungrateful brat. See if I ever give my spot to that runt again!

I looked back at Gabriel and smiled, slightly amazed at how he was actually curled up, asleep, on a backless swing. It was rather impressive.

Casually sneaking up behind him. I grabbed the length of chain at either side of his waist, heaved back, and laughed at his panicked yelp as he nearly fell off. I ran up and caught him, still laughing.

"How could you?!"

"Sorry," gasp, "Couldn't help it." Chuckle. "Had to."

"Jerk!"

Awe! He was just too cute, especially when he punched my pecks. Damn, was it wrong that that felt good? This was nice, I liked it. I wish we could do it again...In a more mature setting.

"One sec." I checked something on my phone. "Friday after next."

"Huh?"

"Our date. I'll help you pack."

"Pack?"

"Yep. I'm taking you out into the woods."

"Overnight?!"

"All weekend."

"But-"

"My turn!" A small voice cut off his protest. Abby had made her way to my side and was lifting up her arms in a very obvious gesture. Whatever we'd been talking about alluded me as I looked towards Jeffery with wide panicked eyes, he rolled his at me and shrugged.

...I'd completely forgotten about the kids.