Coming Out

Learning to Walk Part II

A.N. This is really just the second half to the previous chapter. I posted a new one so people would get a notice that I'd posted more.

*Gabriel*

"Gabriel," his voice called from the other side of the door. "Will you come out now?"

"No!"

No, I was not coming out. If I came out now I was going to deck him in his patronizing, conceited face.

He'd deserve it too.

What the hell was he thinking putting me on the line with an actual person my first...month? Ok, so that sounded perfectly reasonable. But not the way he'd done it! Even if he had been telling me all about the person I'd be talking to and why I was calling that whole bit I wasn't listening to. You don't just shove a live phone into someone's hands! What the hell!

(Shut up all you non-misanthropic haters!)

"Gabriel," he called gently. I cut him off, furious. He was humiliating me here! Seriously, did the fat hats really not realize I could hear them giggling from the exterior doorway? Or did they think it wouldn't matter because I was just a bratty little kid? Kids have felling too you know. And pride. Even after it'd been trampled by well-meaning, very-close-to-ex, fiancés.

"Micah, if I hear one word out your p-p pat pateriz," Guh, why the hell wouldn't the word come out right?

"If you laugh at that I'll punch you in the bloody mouth," I added quickly. Hoping our inconsiderate audience would get a clue. "One more word and I'll punch you in the bloody mouth."

It was said seriously, because I was dead serious.

He sighed.

And then the bloody prat drew breath to speak again!

That was it. I swore I'd do it, so I was bloody doing it!

I unlocked the stall door, slammed it open - you can do that when you're extra-small -, marched up to my about-to-smile fiancé, and punched the oaf in the face!

Bloody ass didn't even have the decency to rock backwards. Couldn't been a bloody mosquito for all he moved. My only satisfaction was the incredibly hurt expression on his face.

Except that didn't make me feel satisfied. - Well, not more than a moment anyway. - It made me feel like I'd punched a baby. Which was totally not funny, or satisfying, at all. Damn his unfairly adorable expressions.

"Gabriel Raul Arel!" Great, not only was the entire office laughing at me, now they got to witness the humiliation of having my father screech at me from the blasted doorway.

I glared at Micah, then turned away, unable to meet his crestfallen eyes. I ignored my father's yapping and pushed - ok, wiggled - my way past him and our audience. I'd walk home if I had to, even if I didn't really know the way there.

How could Micah do that to me?

Yes, maybe I had handled it wrong too, but I was upset, he'd had no reason not to be thinking properly. I knew I shouldn't have let our argument just fade away like that after the incident with Gad last month. Micah obviously didn't understand why I'd stood up to him then. Had he even realized I just did? He was so upset about me never standing up for myself, yet he couldn't seem to see it when I managed to. This whole stunt was supposed to help me take my father's place? How would anyone in that office ever respect me, take directions from me after his little stint there? He wanted to empower me...but he was the one yanking the carpet out from beneath my toes. And I had no idea how to make him see that.