A Father's Betrayal

*Gabriel*

 My father wouldn't look me in the eyes as he handed me a sheet of paper.

 "I just wanted you to know. This is what I'll be saying at the press conference. If you find anything too offensive, I'll reword it, but that's all going to said in whatever phrasing." He paused, ashamed of how he was using me, and he ought to be. I knew he loved me, but that didn't excuse using me as a political tool.

 "I need you to go with it." His tone said I'm Sorry, but his actions, and the conviction underneath the apology, did not. I turned away without speaking to him, and he left. I began reading the speech with an ever strengthening sense of shock.

           "Always wondered why my son never dated...
             After my own brother's hate crime...
             I won't let my son be ashamed of who he is or whom he loves!"

 God! Dad is going to try and turn betraying me, taking my freedom away, into some sort of forced liberation! The worst part was knowing he could do it too, and that he would. As soon as he got off camera, millions of people would be calling him a fracking saint for taking away my right to fall in love!

 I ran into a bedroom, slamming the door behind me as I flung myself onto the bed, crying.

 ---------------------------------------------------

 *Micah*

 When I got home, Kennedy came running. Wrapping her little hand around my fingers and tugging at my hand urgently. I followed silently, worried by her silent distress. Kennedy was never silent, and certainly not when she was upset.

 She pulled me into a wing of the house I knew the Arels used for their own privet family courters. The kids had been here, mostly to 'play with their new brother'. Kennedy had liked that phrase; she'd even taken to calling Gabriel her 'little brother' upon occasion.

 The little girl pulled me into what I assumed was Gabriel's room, though I'd never heard of a teenager who didn't poster the walls or collect paraphernalia, let alone kept their room so neat and their bed made. But, there he was, sobbing softly on the coverlet while Jeff, Maddy, and Abby hugged and stroked him.

 I rushed over and picked him up, cradling him in my arms and stroking his hair as I rocked him.

 "Shhh," I soothed, "Shhhh."

I was a monster, using this poor boy’s sympathy to clip his wings even before he’d had a chance to realize he had them. Sweet, pearlescent seraphic ones to match his heart breaking innocence.

 Jeff helped Kennedy onto the raised bed, and all three of us hugged, and caressed, and cooed at him until he quieted.

 "Why don't you stay with us tonight," I suggested softly, tucking his hair behind one ear. He nodded into my chest, eyes still tightly closed. I stood, carrying him bridal style across the house into my room. I helped him remove his jeans and socks and tucked him under the covers before sliding in behind him. I spooned him, wrapping his tiny frame into the curve of my body. Maddy, Kennedy, Jeff, and Abby tucked in on the other side of him, petting his cheeks and arms. I stroked him and cooed some more until he fell asleep in my arms. I studied him for a while, simply enjoying the feel and warmth of him, gazing at him. There was a crumpled length of paper in his right fist, I eased it out of his tightly curled fingers, massaging his hand until it relaxed. I unfolded the sheet and read, understanding now why he'd been upset enough to let the kids see. This was my fault. was doing this to him. A pang of guilt shot threw me at what I was helping his father do to him; praying this wouldn't be enough to break his fragile heart.

-----------------------------------------------------------

A.N.

I don't know if this chapter is finished. Please comment.

I'm having some trouble with the next chapter cuz my brain keeps going straight to the gutter. *facepalm* 

The rest of my brain suddenly wants this story to go all dark and violent.

Vote>Comment>Help!